Ring Pro cracked button

Thanks!

I will wait for CodeMonkey to respond, I would hate to order the wrong thing.

I don’t think you could order the wrong thing. You have to consider aesthetics, physical durability against fingernails, angry trick or treaters, upset couriers, sustainability withIn your climate, fit and finish. Another words, one button might work better on a wigwam versus another button on an igloo.

Sorry for the delayed response. You could actually order some options that would not be advisable. Resin is great and super accurate. I can print in resin too, however, when over exposed to UV (eg. outdoors) without a layer of paint protecting it they will eventually shatter. Likely worse than the original button. I can print resin and paint it but wouldn’t want the paint to interfere with the tolerances needed to function. I used FDM with PETG for my print. PETG, ABS, and ASA all have properties that lend themselves well to exposure to UV and heat while still retaining good tensile strength. While resin is smoother and doesn’t look 3D printed, I’d have to adjust some tolerances and test it painted before I’d recommend that route. In the meantime, I hold to my offer that I’m happy to print some and send them if S&H is covered. You can reach me @ sorren4@hotmail.com for these. Availability depends on when my printers are avaiable but they are quick prints so the turn around time is usually short. Most US domestic shipping and handling starts at $4 depending on if I have packaging handy or not (usually do thanks to my Amazon “habit”). Otherwise, services mentioned in other posts are great resources too.

5 Likes

With FDM, I’d recommend using PETG, ABS, or ASA since they all tend to resist UV and can handle heat while maintaining tensile strength. Keep in mind that my button is designed a bit better than the Ring buttons that broke so it will already be a bit stronger by design. However, PLA doesn’t stand up quite as well to UV and can get brittle and crack.

SLS should be really great for this application as it can be printed with no supports and cleanup should be really easy. However, I’m not familiar with its UV resistance. Usually a very strong part though.

SLA is VERY detailed and one of the more accurate options. However, since it’s created from resin that’s exposed to UV light, the more exposure the more brittle most resins tend to become. This often ends in shatering after too much exposure. This can be curbed by painting, but painting adds complications to the design if it flakes off into the rest of the doorbell mechanism, wears off over time, and/or negatively adjusts the tolerances of the design since I didn’t design it for paint and tolerances are tight already. You could also try and go with a tough or UV resistant resin but I can’t vouch for the longevity of an unpainted resin print outside for the life of the part.

Overall, I’d recommend the first option with FDM or maybe SLS. Even better, some services offer milled metal parts. I haven’t tried one of these yet but if I had a CNC mill, I’d definitely love to go for an option like that.

3 Likes

Thanks CodeMonkey! I used your suggestion & ordered one from MakeXYZ. Thankyou for your contributions!!

1 Like

Happy to help. In case I didn’t post these earlier. Here is my printed button replacement and installed on my ring pro. I only used “clear” PETG since that what was already loaded on one of my printers. PETG comes in a large variety of colors so you could do Black or whatever suits your fancy. Clear also let me see some of the interior structure of the print and will help indicate if there’s an internal failure over time so I can make adjustments to my design in the future if needed.

1 Like

Based on another comment in this forum, I called Ring support even though my ring doorbell pro was out of warranty. They were phenomenal in listening to my complaint about the cracked button and non-responsive ring doorbell pro at 17 months. They graciously agreed to exchange my doorbell after a brief discussion and receiving photos of the cracked button.

The replacement arrived in a few days, and I installed it right away. The new version included the angle mount with a different screw layout than the after market one I bought with my first ring doorbell pro. The replacement unit itself looked like it had a built-in heat sink on its backside. The screws supplied with the replacement unit to mount it on the angle mount were to thin to properly fit the old after market angle mount. I ended up re-drilling holes and mounting the replacement’s angle mount and covering up the old raw plugs as best I could. The rest of the install and setup were as before and worked perfectly.

I am very pleased that Ring stood behind their product and replaced my broken ring doorbell pro. I am also hopeful that the replacement ring door bell pro will last a bit longer then the one it replaced based on the visual differences in the two versions.

1 Like

I am glad Ring was responsive for you. Not the case for me. I spent a good 30 minutes with the support representative, providing all the requested infomration, including MAC address and photos. They declined to replace the defective unit repeatedly stating they had no descretion in the matter when the unit is out of warranty. Obviously you found an agent who somehow had discretion.

3 Likes

I finally got them to replace mine after 3 previous failed attempts. My ring pro also developed a cracked button. I just realized this morning that being a protect plus subscriber covers all devices under an extended warranty and had to bring that to their attention. This info should already be in their system, but apparently the customer has to make them aware of it or they’ll just keep giving you the runaround. Hopefully this helps anyone who is having the same issue.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info about the Protect Plus! They approved my replacement instantly!

1 Like

Glad to help PlumberMike!

I am glad you said something about the Ring Protect Plus Plan. I got it for the video storage but becasue I had it they are sending me a replacement Ring Pro Doorbell becasue of the cracked button.

I just talked to them and after sending a picture of the cracked button I was told that my only option was to buy another doorbell and that he would give me a discount. Pitiful. Glad that you got another one though.

1 Like

I have the same problem. It’s unacceptable that a $250 doorbell will not last a year of normal residential use.

1 Like

Our button also cracked after less than two years of normal use. This is a significant design flaw in the product. We are expected to purchase a new $250 doorbell every two years. We should look into a class action lawsuit.

4 Likes

I have 2 ring pro door bells both are cracked same place and from what I gathered all the “pros” are cracking in the same place(5/6 o’clock position) so its not by accident. I spoke with support today and they told me I would need to buy another one but they would give me %35 off a new device. I told her I have multiple ring devices and will not be buying anymore.

Do you have the Ring plus plan? If so, it would be covered under warranty.

Wow,

Looks like I am one of the lucky ones with a crappy button. What a freaking joke that they didn’t make a button that can last. Will definitely not be buying a Ring device again and will warn others against wasting their mone the same way.

I have the answer to cracked button issue: I called RING and they told me since the door bell is out of warranty, they will give me a 35% discount on a new unit.

Therefore, I can get a new button for $424. :slight_smile:

Such a deal.

Alternative: I desided to hang a note on my RING doorbell unit indicating that this cracked doorbell will not be replaced because RING wanted $424 to send me a new one.

Have a nice day RING.

3 Likes

Bought mine for $129 on sale.