Ring Motion Alerts Off still pings Alexa

I have the Video Doorbell 2 and also use Amazon’s Echo (Alexa) in the house. I have a schedule set to stop motion alerts early in the morning because I go out running and I don’t want everyone in the house to be alerted by their phone apps waking them up. Setting the schedule for motion alerts OFF stops the alerts from going to the phone app; however, Alexa still reports “Motion detected at the front door.”

Turning off motion alerts should also stop Alexa from making that announcement and waking eveyone up during the scheduled off time.

Bob

6 Likes

Hey @BobA ! Other neighbors have shared success with this by using Alexa’s “Do not disturb” feature or routine. Just as motion notification preferences don’t carry over to shared users automatically, they will not with Alexa either. I’ll be happy to share this with the team as a valued feature request! :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Hi @Marley_Ring,

Going to each of my Alexa devices and setting up a “Do Not Disturb” would work, but that’s a bit of a pain every time I want to turn off notifications from Ring such as when workers are at the house and people are coming and going, etc.

I think updating Ring so when a person turns off notifications (either manually or by setting up a schedule) and having it turn off all notifications, including those going to Alexa, would be a nice addition to the product.

Thanks for your reply and info!

Bob

9 Likes

I only have 1 Echo Dot.
There is a setting in the Amazon Alexa app:
Alexa, Devices, All Devices, Front Door, Motion Detect, OFF.
You can also do Enabled, OFF.

If there were multiple Echo devices in my household, I might still want to be notified even if somebody else wanted theirs turned off. But I can see how there may need to be an option to turn it all off.

4 Likes

Thanks for the solution. I also have a single dot interfaced with a ring video doorbell pro.

I have the same issue to my Android phone, even not with Alexa.

Why do I have to do the extra thing other than “Motion Alerts” to OFF to actual off for motion detection notification?

1 Like

Agreed… They made it clunky. Turning off notifications in the main Ring App should turn off “ALL” notifications.

5 Likes

Thanks, you mean if I turn off all and turn on “Ring Alerts” only then it will work?

How can I turn off all?

Also, “Motion Alerts” OFF means the doorbell detection still runs but just doesn’t notify?

I’m using the battery so I don’t want to make it run if not needed. So I’m wondering if that function means actual detection disabling or still detecting but not sending notification.

1 Like

As best as I can determine, the Ring will still detect so it’s not going to help your battery issue. And it only turns off notifications on the device you used to make that setting selection, which is my problem. Between my phone, my wife’s phone, her tablet, my iPad, Alexa in my office, bedroom, and living room, it’s a pain to temporarily turn off notifications.

4 Likes

Has there been any progress on this? With 3 Alexa devices in house I have taken to putting a post it note over the camera so I can walk around in view of the camera…
There has to be a better option. And going to 3 alexa devices everytime ti turn on “do not disturb” is not a real good solution.
BJBBJB

5 Likes

There needs to be a solution to this please

7 Likes

Same situation here. It is the most annoying thing in the world that turning off motion still pings Alexa. This is absurd that turning this functionality off does not turn it off for Alexa. Need a solution on this ASAP.

6 Likes

I have to agree…I have 2 stick cams and a Ring 2 announcing motion on 5 Echo devices. I put the motion on a 2 hour snooze while people were in the back yard but it did not stop the announcements on the Echo devices.

Telling Alexa to do not disturb for xx hours works well enough though. We are not in all the rooms all the time so we do not hear the ones that are not on DND.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing with the Community, neighbors! Aside from skills through alexa, or settings in your Ring app, If you have alerts enabled on both the Alexa enabled devices and your Ring app, toggling off each is the best way to prevent all alerts. Do not disturb mode is another quick way to accomplish this for your mobile device. Check out our help center article about alexa alerts for more information.

As we value our neighbors’ feedback, we’ve created a Feature Request board. Feel free to add this and any future feature requests there. This will help us to organize and share your requests with our teams here, as well as allow other neighbors to comment and add interest, all in one place. :slight_smile:

@Marley_Ring,

Thanks for that. For anyone with multiple Alexa devices, this has been an incredibly…incredibly annoying issue with no real-world convenient solution. I challenge anyone that wants to go sit on their front porch that has multiple devices to run upstairs downstairs, talk to all their alexas, or login to alexa and set, then go to the ring app… really? O yes, then walk outside and hope you do not have a chorus of alexas talking and mobile devices ringing. It is sad that my solution is a

Post -it note that I bend down over the camera when outside. Shouldn’t this be easier? I actually considered covering my ring for the summer and letting people use the old doorbell!

I am sure there are many many people that would go to this new area to resubmit this request. However respectively, this issue and request has been out here spanning a year here with no traction. Will it get any more action in the new area? Does anyone that replies with the current “solution” really have multiple alexas and a ring and use their front porch?

Thanks,

BJBBJB

7 Likes

Any progress on this at all? Similar to many households, we have numerous phones, iPads and 3 echos around the house. It really can’t be that difficult to introduce an all encompassing disabling of notifications. Any time I’m doing any sort of work at the front of the house, whether it’s cutting the lawn, cleaning the windows, doing anything with the cars, all I can hear is Alexa continuously notifying all the house. It’s obviously particularly annoying if people are in bed.

5 Likes

@AllenG13,

Agreed. If the programmers can put in 2 factor authentication just to post in a forum, this could also be done…

BJBBJB

5 Likes

I’m having the same problem with nuisance alerts from our stick up, which detects blow shrubbery in our backyard. However, I still want the Ring doorbell to detect motion and alert through the phone app as well as Alexa. So if the faulty pause system is revised please give us a way to select which devices are paused.

3 Likes

i agree. Its frustrating. I cant turn off the Alexa notifications unless I remove the app. I like the notifications but want the option to disable or turn off or to put on a schedule or mute. I turned off the notifications and it doesnt stop them on the Echo.

2 Likes