Ring Doorbell "{devicename} isn't responding" in Echo Show

When I say "Alexa, show me the FrontDoor " it says “Waiting for ring.com” and then immediately says “Front Door isn’t responding”. It was working fine yesterday!

My suspicion is that this has something to do with Ring’s new forced two-factor authentication. I know why you forced it after all the bad headlines but two-factor breaks machine-to-machine linked SaaS like this. Surely you have a plan to fix it?

Thanks

Hey @crisley47. Are you still having this concern, or was this a one-time thing? There could have been a connection interruption that would not allow Alexa to pull up the Live View. If you are still having this concern, I recommend to disable the Ring skill and then re-enable the skill in the Alexa app. Also, give you Alexa device a reboot before this as well, by simply leaving it unplugged for up to a minute! Let me know how this goes. If you could attach a picture of the error message Alexa give you, this could be helpful too!

Thanks for your response. The problem fixed itself about 2 hours later. No explanation.

On a related topic: This morning I said “Alexa, talk to the gate”. The Show screen showed “connecting to Ring” and then said “Cathy Smith is not responding”. I don’t even know where you got that name, I guess from my phone!

An hour later, the same command connected me to my ring doorbell at the gate.

The worrisome thing is that Ring is taking on important IoT jobs like opening property gates when the Ring/Amazon gateway connection seems so unreliable. To own those jobs the connection needs to be there all the time.

Thanks

1 Like

@crisley47 Thank you so much for that feedback! I agree it should indeed be stable. I’ll make sure to pass this onto the appropriate team for you. Glad this was resolved for the time being! :slight_smile:

New show 8. With a ring outdoor light cam. Cam shows fine on my phone. Cam is on the same wifi as the show 8. Show 8 works for everything else accept

When I ask “show driveway” I get. “Waiting for Ring.com” and eventually it switches back to the home screen.

Ives reset disabled my skill already and unplugged my show. I do have two factor authentication. Is that the issue? Must I turn that off?

I have exactly the same problem.

I get connecting to ring.com then “Front door isn’t responding.” then the Echo Show returns to its home screen.

If I say Alexa “Show me the fron door” several times it does come up but the whole thing is touch and go. Highly unleliable. My Unifi AP is literally 2’ away and the signal strength is excellent.

This whole thing seems really flakey. Any ideas?

1 Like

Mine still isn’t working and when I tried to reconnect it yesterday it said it was downloading firmware and doesn’t work at all! Is there a solution for this yet?

Hey neighbors! If you’re experiencing this concern, I’d recommend disabling and re-enabling the Ring Skill in the Alexa App. If that doesn’t resolve this, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. They’ll be able to take a closer look at this and offer more advanced troubleshooting support. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

I wouldn’t bother wasting your time with the telephone support, you will just get the standard 20 minutes of them doing troubleshooting as if this was a problem that was specific to you rather than a known and recurring issue with multiple users. It is always disappointing to me when you call technical support for any company with regard to a widespread issue, and instead of acknowledging the problem and giving you meaningful feedback on what they are doing to fix it, they simply try to convince you its something wrong on your end versus theirs.

1 Like

This happens not only on my Echo Shows but also my new Fire HD8 with the Alexa app, the Ring app, and the new Device Dashboard. When I try to access live view it is hit and miss whether it will connect and “IF” it does connect it spends considerable time “buffering”. Problem seems to be worst with my doorbells but affect the other cams as well. I have fast down and upload speeds and great rssi values. Seems to me that the Ring system itself might be overloaded as it spends a lot of time " Connecting to Ring.com"

I am also getting this problem, i have no issue connecting to my phone, but my show 8 will connnect maybe 1 in 10 times when asked to show the camera. Will only ring about 1 in 5 times when the doorbell is pressed. And will never show the camera when the doorbell is oressed even though it has all been set up to do that.
Are ring/amazon working on a fix?

Mine has recently started doing something similar. Has anyone had alexa say “hm there are already several people talking with the camera, so I can’t add you to the conversation.” This just started and is unsettling because I have read about people managing to access other people’s doorbells or cameras.

1 Like

Has anyone found the solution to this?

I’m having the same issue. It’s frustrating.

Have you been able to fix this problem? I noticed for me it is just my wired cams that are not working in my echo show

Hi,

I’m having the same issue, can anyone help with this?

Regards,

A.

I just asked to see my front door three times before actually seeing it. I’m wondering if it’s related to the ungodly delay between tapping on my phone and the video appearing. My ring has strong signal and is always wired/powered and set to highest of settings and it still takes forever. That delay could be related to this one, after three times it’s just in the right place to finally work. 3rd times a charm seems reliable. Just hope people stand out there long enough to get the command out three times…

I’m also having this problem, been bought the device as a birthday present and only been able to get my alexa show to show and talk to the “front door” once. I just get the ‘connecting to ring.com’ screen and then it says front door isn’t responding.
I’ve disabled the skill a couple of times, checked all my settings on the ring app and alexa app, rebooted my show several times and same message. If I try to answer the doorbell I get that its unresponsive again even tho its chiming. Very disappointed so far.

I’ve tried all of the above suggestions and cannot get the Amazon Echo Show 8 to connect to my Ring Video Doorbell 3. The device displays but cannot connect to ring.com. The Alexa app is linked on my phone which is linked to the Echo Show. The doorbell shows on the Echo Show Smart Home but never connects. The camera isn’t responding and waiting for ring.com. Need help

Same issue here… After 20secs of loading, it says “Umm, Camera is not responding.”