Ring Doorbell no longer displays LIVE view

Since May 7th, I have not been able to switch to LIVE view. Battery and power are full, WiFi signal is strong/full. All motion and alerts work but it won’t record or switch to LIVE view. Any ideas?

17 Likes

I am watching this thread. I have the exact problem.

10 Likes

I have the exact same problem! Ugh

2 Likes

My wired Ring doorbell cam has developed exactly the same issue as you .
Judging by the others who are experiencing same symptoms it looks Lomé Ring have either been hacked or their last firmware is flawed . My battery powered stick up cams are working fine still

2 Likes

Same issue here, no recordings since May 7th, Internet is at 100Mbps, doorbell is less than 10 feet from google wifi hub. Tried resetting wifi, cleaned the cache and forced stopped the app. NOTHING is working!

8 Likes

Update: (RESOLVED) I was able to reach a Community support person at Ring. They walked me through the steps of reselecting my network. If you navigate to Ring App > devices > select door bell> Device health > change WIFI Network. Follow the steps to reselect network.
Let the firmware update complete. Don’t touch the device until it’s completed. It may take about 5 minutes.
Once it completed everything was working again. I suspect there was a problem with their May 7 update that’s caused a network issue that these steps will fix.

6 Likes

Spoke too soon. It’s not working. The live view worked once or twice then we back into a strange hibernation state :frowning:
Back to the drawing board

3 Likes

I have the exact same problem but also triggered cloud recordings aren’t saved. I’ll try the reboot you described earlier once I get the screw driver sent to me by Ring. (Lost that a while ago.)

I’m having the same issue with my doorbell.

1 Like

Live has not worked via iPhone app nor iMac app since 5/4/20 after 3:40pm Mountain time. I have working history prior to 5/4/20 3:40pm MT, but nothing after. I see all of the alerts/motions in the history log, but they are not clickable, they will not launch a video. All of the ones prior to 5/4 launch fine. Something happened on or around this date to RING. I am not the only one experiencing this issue. And when you call customer service, they want you to do all sorts of ‘waste of time’ troubleshooting like resetting your router and pulling your doorbell off the wall and completely uninstalling and resetting it. WHAT!?!?!?! NO. This has worked almost perfectly for years, now all of a sudden tons of customers are having live/video issues and your solution is to run them in stupid troubleshooting cicrles? Be better. Or I will just find another more reliable brand. Anyone else seeing this crap? Everything is working except for live. My motion alerts work and log. My doorbell actually rings an audible sound when pressing the button. I see “live views” in the history, I just cannot access/click on them, nor can I launch live. So if everything else is working except for live, why on earth are these guys wanting me to tear it all down and reinstall. Rideculous.

Power Source: Hard Wired

Power Status: Very Good

Signal Strength: RSSI-52

Firmware: Up to date

Ring Team - when you are you going to admit you have a LIVE issue and fix it?

13 Likes

Hey neighbors. Live View is normally affected from a poor wifi connection, reduction in upload speeds (or download, but upload is more common with Live View, and upload is normally much less than download available from your ISP if you do a speed test), low battery on the device, a high RSSI value, interference from the router, or the wifi connection in the home being used elsewhere (kids, family, friends or roommate using the internet or working from home). If you are experiencing more concerns than just Live View, you can try the steps, but it may be best handled with our support team if your device is not functioning as it should. Below I will list out all possible options you can try! I’ve collected this from other neighbors and my own personal experience. :slight_smile:

Some neighbors have found relief to this concern by doing the following to their network:

• Switching networks for the device, whether this is from 2.4 Ghz to 5.0 Ghz (if possible for device/network to connect to)
  • Switching from connection to a router to a mesh system/Chime Pro/extenders and vice versa
  • Rebooting your router, ensuring that all ports and protocols are opened for the Ring devices
  • Ensuring you have proper speeds. Lots of neighbors during this time have noticed slower speeds because of the current conditions and changes to at home life
  • Disabling any VPNs

Some neighbors have found relief in this concern by doing the following to their Ring device:

• Completely reset the device by pressing and holding the setup button for 30 seconds and then reconnect the device.
  • Testing Live View with device next to the router
  • Ensuring device is fully charged
  • Looking at Device Health and confirming RSSI is in acceptable range

Some neighbors have found relief in this concern by doing the following to their app:

• Disabling VPNs on the phone
  • Trying the Rapid Ring app
  • Connecting to the app on wifi or mobile data only (testing whichever connection is not your normal)
  • Updating app/OS software on phone

Please note that if you do not feel comfortable enough preforming any of these troubleshooting steps to see if you can get your Live View working again, you can always contact our support team directly. They can take a look into your account and device to determine what is really going on, and what factor may be at play here. Please feel free to come back to this thread and post your solutions that you have found for Live View! For support, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

2 Likes

And how exactly would you explain any of these being viable solutions for homes that have had NO changes to their network or setups? Ours has been working for years. It stopped on May 4 (coincidentally along with MANY other people’s too).

Power Source: Hard Wired

Power Status: Very Good

Signal Strength: RSSI-52

Firmware: Up to date

14 Likes

Resetting my ring doorbell seems to have restored live video. Fingers crossed.

2 Likes

Mine live view is MAGICALLY working again now, after over a month of not being able to connect, but ALL other alerts/motions were working the entire time. Low and behold there was a RING update on 6/8. There have been no changes to our network or anything within our setup. At all. Period. What a mystery Ring. Guess it wasn’t on my end…AS I SAID ALL ALONG. Update and try yours again.

4 Likes

I have the same issue…No Live view and misses people casually walking into my drive sitting on my inner wall (without face masks coughing profusely) making mobile calls until from a window I shouted: “This is private property please leave”…DID RING DOORBELL 2 RECORD ANY OF THIS (SET TO REACH ALL 3 AREAS AND THE FURTHEST DISTANCE) …DID IT HELL!!! WHAT THE F@#K DID I PAY ALL THIS MONEY FOR EVEN INVESTING MORE MONEY IN 4 STICK CAMERAS & THE BEST MESH SYSTEM TO FURTHER BOOST THE RING CONNECTIVITY (WHICH DEVICE HEALTH SHOWS APPARENTLY IT DID) …READ THE RING HELP ASSIGNED ALL RING DEVICES STATIC IPS…STILL NO LIVE VIEW FROM IOS APP OR HARD WIRED 1GB LINE LAPTOP RING APP…TRULY CRAP SYSTEM I HAVE BEEN MONITORING NOW OVER A FAST NETWORK FOR OVER 2 MONTHS NOW.
Stinks of subtly forced obsolescence: Buy into a system (raising user safety appreciation lowering fear factor) where firmware then creates an issue in the key device (Ring doorbell) so INACTIVITY dramatically increases the fear factor forcing the user (now locked in) to invest in a newer model Ring Doorbell having invested on all other ring components around the house (chimes/stickup cameras etc)…pitiful really!!!. Same revenue model Apple/Android operates under as their updates force you to buy a new phone model !!

1 Like

Sorry to hear about this experience @ray1123! It sounds like you’ve covered all the right bases to get this working. If you’ve tried the previous steps mentioned in this thread to no avail, I recommend reaching out to our support team for more in depth troubleshooting. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

Thank you so much, this worked perfectly. Hope it doesn’t go out again when there’s somebody prowling around my front door :–)

My live view became increasing problematic, not connecting. I was still getting notifications and recordings until I swapped out my netgear extender for a newer dual band netgear model. Then I lost notifications / motion and no doorbell chime. Settings looked good and it was connected to a network with sufficient signal strength, I have 4. I tried to select another wifi thru the app without success. That’s when I did a factory reset, and was able to select the strongest wifi for ea location. Once the device updated the firmware (micro code as I am used to calling it) LIVE VIEW was restored and performance was snappy, glitch free. I spent over 35 years in I.T. so this makes perfect sense. Wifi enabled devices are not appliances no matter what the end consumer thinks, it is not a toaster and requires some understanding. After swapping the wifi extender for the new dual band model every wifi enabled device needed to be reviewed. Fire TV, Alexa, Alexa Show…etc.

1. Factory reset
  2. Follow setup
  3. Be patient while micro code loads, it must complete
  4. Settings / review device health parameters
  5. Test devices - live view and alerts
  6. All good - open beer?
2 Likes

Our Ring doorbell has been having issues for months. When we attempted to reset the WiFi extender (Chime), a message popped up and said this device belonged to someone else??? Then we received an email from Ring immediately stating that the signal was blocked because we attempted to use someone else’s device. We called support twice and were told Ring did not block our signal and did not have the ability to do so. Hmm, Interesting!!! Since then, we have had to reset our doorbell every so often. Today, we weren’t able to see live view. We reset it at least 10 times and each time it would work for a few mins and as soon as we put the device back on the wall, it immediately stops working again. We called support and the rep made us reset it AGAIN and the same thing happened. At first, she told us to reset the WiFi extender (chime) but it did not work at all - no light, no response. Then we reset the doorbell and once again, it only worked for a few mins until we put the device back on the wall. Now we are back to no live view again. By the way, we have checked everything including WiFi strength and everything is working fine in our house.

Wow I am so glad I ran into this thread. I was ready to throw out my ring doorbell and try a competitor.

I’ve done all of the above steps and have a strong connection / hardwired.

Nothing has changed but that may date sounds about right for me as well as to when live stopped working.