Ring Doorbell 3 fails again and again

I have the Ring Doorbell 3 that is battery powered and not wired to a doorbell chime. I upgraded from a Doorbell 2 since I was having some minor connection issues with the Doorbell 2. The Doorbell3 constantly has connection problems. Here is a list of the issues that I have:

1. Stuck at ‘activating device’ when attempting to go to live view
  2. Motion activiation video starts to record but picture freezed after three seconds
  3. When doorbell pressed, takes 15-30 seconds for bell to actual ring on app/Alexa
  4. When video does actually record, motion in the video becomes pixelated and worthless.

I have moved my wireless router closer to the front door thinking the signal was bad but this changed nothing. The Doorbell 3 is a waste of money.

Hey @ponger89. This is not the experience we want our neighbors to have, and I’m sorry that you are not having a great connection with your Doorbell to your home network. All of the concerns that you have outlined normally go back to the connection your Doorbell has, so we will need to look a bit deeper into that. First, lets start fresh with the Doorbell and see what the most up to date RSSI value is for you. Could you please press and hold the setup button on the Doorbell 3 for 20 seconds, and then go into the Device Health section and tap on Reconnect/Change Wifi Network.

This will take you through another setup of your device, but once reconnected, please test these same features, and especially the Live View and let me know if this is still happening for you. If this is still happening, please let me know what the RSSI is for your device. You can learn more about RSSI and what is means in our Community post here. In addition, please go to Ring.com/Speed and attach a screenshot of what your upload, download and ping look like!

Chelsea,

Thank you for your reply. I’ve attempted to follow your directions but that seems to have made my Ring Doorbell 3 completely unable to connect. I placed the doorbell in setup mode and tapped ‘change wifi’. I selected my wifi network but the doorbell would not connect. There was a right flashing white light which the app indicated meant it was unable to connect. The app recommended moving the doorbell closer to the router to complete the setup which I did (photo attached of doorbell sitting next to router). The doorbell still will not connect after four attempts to reconnect to the wifi. I’ve also attached the requested screen shot of my wifi bandwith speed. The RSSI prior to attempting at reconnect was -42 for your reference.

@ponger89 Thank you so much for these screenshots, and letting me know how it’s going. I had a feeling something was a bit off with this Doorbell, and this confirms it for us. I appreciate you taking the time to do this troubleshooting and detail the information. Since you’re unable to get it connected again after multiple failed attempts, this would be best handled by our support team to do advanced troubleshooting and possibly replace the device for you. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19. This has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

Let me know how this goes, as I would love to hear what they’re able to do to address this! If you end up getting it replaced, would also love to hear if the replacement works better for you. Let me know, neighbor. :slight_smile: