Ring Doorbell 3 Resistor

Hello! I recently purchased the Ring Doorbell 3. I’m in the process of completing my setup by connecting it to a transformer without a preexisting doorbell mechanism. It says in the manual that a resistor is recommended for this configuration. I found that for Ring Doorbell 2 it’s adamantly required to avoid fires, but I can’t seem to find any clear info on model 3 beside that brief mention in the manual. Has anybody hooked theirs up this way and can offer guidance? Thanks!

@Matao wrote:
Hello! I recently purchased the Ring Doorbell 3. I’m in the process of completing my setup by connecting it to a transformer without a preexisting doorbell mechanism. It says in the manual that a resistor is recommended for this configuration. I found that for Ring Doorbell 2 it’s adamantly required to avoid fires, but I can’t seem to find any clear info on model 3 beside that brief mention in the manual. Has anybody hooked theirs up this way and can offer guidance? Thanks!

@Matao ,

YES YES, you still need the Resistor, for the exact same reasons the Video Doorbell 2 needed it. Without a pre-existing doorbell mechanism, it is not just recommended to use a Resistor . . . it’s really required or you’ll find things are gonna get really hot (fire-hazard) really quick! With a pre-existing house wall-mounted bell, this bell-chime provides the electrical current resistance. Without the bell mechanism, you are required to substitute the Resistor to replace the resistance you would have had with the bell. Without the resistor, you would get the similar effect of a short-circuit on the transformer.

Instructions with diagrams on how to set up the transformer for a Ring Video Doorbell (notice now these directions just show two doorbells now . . . a generic Ring Video Doorbell and the Ring Video Doorbell 2) :

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/205180710-How-to-Connect-Your-Ring-Video-Doorbell-Directly-to-a-Low-Voltage-Transformer-Without-a-Pre-existing-Doorbell-

The $10 electrical Resistor (notice in the description, "Video Doorbell, Video Doorbell 2, Video Doorbell 3 and Video Doorbell 3 Plus ):

https://shop.ring.com/products/wirewound-resistor?_pos=4&_sid=c9d10599b&_ss=r

I hope you find this usedul . . . and don’t burn up . . . just joking. LOL :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah. I asked several times- several times told a resistor is NOT required for Ring3 doorbell. So why does their description in the store say for Ring3 & Ring3 plus? They asked for a link to the product (from their own store!). I sent it- they will let someone know. Wow.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure ot needs a resistor for direct so when someone pushes the button and the device tries to short the wires and ring the chime like a switch you dont short out the transformer in that moment