Ring Doorbell 2: "This footage is unavailable."

It’s not that. Lol. Attached another screenshot anyway. Suspect (based on consistent timings and where I’m located) this may be Ring maintenance window(s) that are being poorly managed.

So I am also getting the “ring footage unavailable error” and I just got off the phone with Rink tech support and they informed me Ring does not store ALL footage for your review, only “Event” footage. This is a real problem for me because I have a Nest Cam that does store constant on going footage that you can scroll back through to any point and would have just got another Nest product had I known this. I feel like Ring’s advertising that states they store 60 days of live footage is misleading…it should say, stores 60 days of “event” footage. This is REALLY DISAPPOINTING…because of this I don’t recommend this product!!!

This is wrong and the rep you spoke with does know anything…same thing happened to me.
With snapshot capture you can see lots of data from many days in past. It is an issue with this feature that isnt working. I can go back to last week and watch myself get in and out of me car.

Rep told me I was wrong, and I said really? Then why am I watching myself outside from 2 weeks ago

60 days is for people that have a basic or plus plan. And it’s only 30 days for certain countries.
See the information here.
https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001671383-Ring-Protect-Subscription-Plans

1 Like

I am paying for the “Basic” plan and still cannot scroll through my timeline unless there was an event or previous live view that I watched for a few moments.

This is really confusing and disappointing! …I’ve got enough problems with tech companies botching things on me as it is, ugh!

I followed your link to this table and it clearly states 30 or 60 days of “motion” and “events”, not scrollable back through every minute, only minutes in a captured motion or event.

This sucks!!!

Going back to Nest.

Thanks, that would be great!

Can you provide the link to that documentation so we can find it for ourselves on the Ring website? …I am skeptical because of the website material I read (attached) which states they only store events and motion, and I can’t see that video on my timeline, and the customer service person told me you couldn’t do it…hopefully you’re right!

Ok I found out how to do this in theory, however it still doesn’t work on my app:

It is called “Snapshot” and needs to be enabled in your app (follow instructions in link below). However I am not able to get this to work despite it being enabled, ugh!

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360034443672

I have snapshot enabled and early morning/evening all snap shots are captured and saved. In the day, sometime all day, sometimes intermittently, snaps shot aren’t saved, just receive the usual error. Note if there’s an event, i.e. movement or the bell is rung, events are captured and saved without issue it seems.

This Ring web page states snapshots stored for 7 days:

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360034355652-Taking-Timeline-Security-Snapshots-Using-Snapshot-Capture

How long are snapshots stored for viewing?
Snapshots will be stored in the cloud for seven days. After that they are automatically deleted. This will not affect any of your motion events or Live Views.

Would be nice if they were stored for 1 day, or even accessible in the first place (regardless of time of day)…

I have been looking back at the footage log and notice minutes after activity (like me leaving or coming home -therefore triggering the motion sensor ) the footage becomes unavailable. Most times until there is motion(me coming back home )
The fact that this happens every day and therefore if I am gone or no motion for many many hours , my footage is unavailable
How can this happen DAILY! Anyone know why ?

I also have also developed this issue today. This is not an app issue as I just installed the app on an iOS device and the problem is still there.the doorbell has been working flawlessly until today. It appears to have stopped for now. Was there an issue with the storage servers ?

Yes I spoke to a Ring rep too. The ring only records when the ring is being activated via motion detection or someone ringing the door bell. Therefore there can be multiple hours of unavailable footage. They did say they r working on 24/7 coverage in the near future !

Last week I changed the snapshot frequency to 1 hour. There were far fewer blocks of ‘unavailable’ afterwards. I’ve now disabled snapshot completely and there are no ‘unavailable’ blocks at all. For me at least an issue with snapshot and when the functionality is stable. No issues with other events (motion or ring).

I also just found around 30 min of “footage not available”. In the 4am hour this is not good These are crucial times that things could happen… Why is it that it doesn’t do this during the day it’s almost like they think we’re too stupid to go back and look at the night time… I’m very suspicious of this and it’s happening to all of us …it’s definitely not correct

so for those on this post of recorded video unavailable,

I have been doing some digging into what may be happening. (Please note my issue seems to have stopped in Canada Ontario for now).

So my assumption on architecture, is the footage is uploaded to a cloud server, the main reason for this to fail, from my experience in IT, would be either network issues with the ring device and the internet or a ring cloud server outage. (different locations will also be different servers)
I looked if there is option/hack to save the video locally but there is not. I looked in forums to see if you can use Ethernet not wireless to rule out wifi issues, again not.

so my understanding of the architecture, unless you are watching live, you are actually retrieving the footage from a cloud server.

so if my theory is correct, if you view the historical footage on any device phone/iPad/laptop, the issue will be across multiple devices for the exact same time as it’s all the same footage from the server.

so if this theory applies, To the unavailable footage, it rules out the app on the device and reinstalling it etc is a waste of time if the issue is across mutiple devices.

so my theory is one of three potential causes.

We all have glitchy internet outside our houses,

The ring network connection software has a bug,

The ring cloud server/s had maintenance and were not failed over (assuming a               failover server).

So replies/comments on what may be suspected causes I have given, are fine but not abusive/trolls etc.

Hi neighbors. Thank you for this information. Can you let me know of the following:

• Confirm you have an active Ring Protect Plan set up
• Confirm your snapshots were not deleted.
• Are all of you receiving the screenshot a neighbor previously attached? With a black screen saying ‘This footage is unavaliable’ ?

There was a problem on the 26th it seems with this. Ring status shows this here.
https://status.ring.com/