Ring Doorbell 2 melted doorbell chime

Wow, crazy I’m not the only one to have this happen. I had recommended transformer installed and within a week the exact same thing happened. So I’ve been running it off of battery. That was over a year ago lol. What’s the verdict from the company?

1 Like

This same thing just happened to me.

Awoke at 3 in the morning to my doorbell activating. I thought someone was at the door. After a few minutes there was a horrible burning smell throughout the house and we realized it was coming from the doorbell.

Can this cause a fire?!?

Two hours later and I can’t sleep … had to completely unhook the doorbell from the transformer and disconnect the Ring Pro Power Kit to be safe.

What the heck is going on?

2 Likes

Thank you, @caddison for bringing this to our attention! We take your safety very seriously. We’ve sent this feedback to our teams here who should be reaching out as soon as possible to help you resolve this the quickest and most efficiently.

Has this issue been resolved. One of my 3 doorbell chimes was totally cooked and set off the smoke detectors. Thank goodness we were home. Now my transformer constantly hums.

Mine did the same thing! We installed it just today and rang the doorbell a couple of times then a couple minutes later it started burning up in the chime! We can’t get it working anymore and I want a refund

I sense a law suit

Hi @Wes-ssf and @Corbinj. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We want to assure you that we take all of our neighbors’ concerns very seriously. Are we able to have a member from our team reach out to you about this? If so, we would reach out to you using the email address associated with your Community account and a member of our team will be in contact with you. If this is alright, please let me know and I will arrange this for you to ensure that your concern is addressed appropriately.

Yes, that is perfectly fine with me.

We also had the same thing happen tonight the bell rang no one was there. Shortly after we started smelling a horrible smell coming from the doorbell chime inside the house. Our doorbell no longer works.

1 Like

We installed our ring 2 and when we tested it out it smelled like plastics was melting In out house.

I just installed my Ring 3 Pro and it did the same thing. My original doorbell chime smells terrible. It totally fried it out. I had to discount the power from my Ring. I was afraid it was going to start a fire.

Does this happen when the doorbell is installed as a replacement for an existing doorbell? When it’s connected directly to a transformer? I’m asking to help me decide which way I should install my new doorbell to avoid this. Thanks!

Hi @Bethfrank. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We want to assure you that we take all of our neighbors’ concerns very seriously. Are we able to have a member from our team reach out to you about this? If so, we would reach out to you using the email address associated with your Community account and a member of our team will be in contact with you. If this is alright, please let me know and I will arrange this for you to ensure that your concern is addressed appropriately.

Hi@Wes-ssf and @hash70,

I’m a reporter with NBC National News in NYC. Looking to speak with you about this experience.

Thank you.

I installed mine yesterday afternoon. It worked for one day, and today my wife call me saying that the door chime is smoking. Luckily I was able to walk my daughter through how to pull the breaker. Mine is Ring Doorbell 2 with Chime that I got from Costco. I put the original doorbell back for now until I figure out what is going on. I am aware of the recall, but I did use the correct screw for mounting the face plate. Do I need to return the whole thing to Costco?

Hi @vichai007. Would you mind reaching out to our support team with this concern? They’ll be able to gather information about what happened and help find a solution for you. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

This has happened twicw to me in the las two weeks. Last week I spent about an hour on the phone with support. At their insistens I hooked everything bakc up and it worked. Until yesterday when the doorbell triggered (i was out; wife home) and stuck in the closed position. Burned the chime up again and smelled about like you’d suspect. Transformer is fine and has been for 20 yrs. 16vac wherever I measure it.
i did not install this to make my life more complicated. Contemplating options…

Has anyone here heard anything from Ring support about a potential fix? It seems obvious that there is a defect causing the doorbell switch to close by itself and then get stuck in the closed position. This is fairly high risk I think and I would not want to take that risk were it my company. I have rx’d no comms from Ring. I will let it ride a week ( my chime is disconnected ) and then assume they don’t have a plane and will move on to some other doorbell camera solution.

My new ring pro melted my chime this weekend after approximately 2 weeks of being installed. Nothing like being woken up to the smell of burning plastic. Glad we were home and able to disconnect everything before it had a chance to start a fire.

I’ve been in contact with Ring and am hoping someone from the Safety & Security Adovacate Team reaches out to me soon since no one else there seems to be able to help. I know my wife and I are rather leary as to how safe of a product this is now, especially since this doesn’t seem to be a one off experience.

Update: just spoke to ring support. They escalated this issue to their technical staff and they said they will be sending someone out to check this out. They acknowledge that this is not an isolted incident. As this unfolds, I will provide updates here.