Ring Doorbell 2 crackling noise in Live View Only

I have the ring doorbell 2 and it works fine until I go into Live view. As soon as I do that the bell makes a loud crackling noise which draws attention from passers by. The firmware is up to date and it doesn’t happen when someone rings the bell and I speak to them that way, it literally only happens in live view. Is there a fix for this?

Hey @darren11. Does this happen when attempting a Live View from another device, such as a phone or a tablet? This is the best way to rule out network concerns and more. Please also make sure that no bluetooth devices are connected when attempting the Live View. Let me know how this goes! :slight_smile:

Hi there

I’ve tried it on another device and it doesn’t happen, it seems that it’s just my phone. Do you know what could be causing it?

@darren11 Could there be possibly any bluetooth devices that are affecting your Ring app from doing this? I always recommend to turn this off and try again, and see if that is the culprit. In addition, it may just be a good idea to remove the app from your phone, reboot your phone (turn if off/on) and then reinstall the Ring app. Hope this helps!

I am having the same issue. No other bluetooth and just my iPhone (latest iOS and latest model). Ring’s software has been updated already, too.

Were you able to resolve it?

Hi @Amirandas23! Have you tried removing the Ring app and reinstalling it on your mobile device? If so, test audio on wifi only, then on cell data only, to see if the quality changes with connection. Feel free to let us know how this goes! :slight_smile:

I have had same issue since new, and put it down to bad wifi and it also makes very load crackling over the chime sound when the doorbell is pressed.
I finally set-up to new router as difficult as ring make that, and same problem.
I even put the doorbel right next to my router and when I do live view and turn on phone microphone, it makes load crackling noise. Same when button is pressed.

I put it down to a faulty product. I should have returned when I got it but it was a present, so I am stuck with this faulty unit.

Hi @Fatso. Can you please reach out to our support team regarding this matter? They can take a deeper look for you and walk through troubleshooting steps with you. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

I have had this same issue with my Ring unit since purchasing it new a few months ago. I have performed all of the aforementioned tests to solve the problem, all to no avail. I called Ring support as well and was told, “this is not a known issue and seems unique to you.” It was then suggested that I conduct a search via Google to look for anyone else with the same Ring doorbell issue. Ha! Obviously I am not unanimous in experiencing this frustrating problem. What’s the solution, Ring?!

Bumping this thread up.

I am getting the crackling/static during live view too. I added an extended access point closer to the doorbell and that does not fix it. Ring needs to address this issue. I have done a full reset on the doorbell.

We each have iPhone 12 Pro Max, latest software on everything. Happening on iPad Pro 12.9 as well. Crackling so loud even on the ring unit. If someone opens the live view, the doorbell also is crackling really loudly. Unbearable and unusable.