Ring Doorbell 2 Ports (for those behind firewalls)

I’ve just gone through getting my Ring Doorbell 2 setup behind a firewall for anyone who runs one at home. Ring don’t seem to publish any port details (that I could find). Service ports below.

Ring clients (phone, tablets, etc.)

• TCP/1:65535 > 15064
  • UDP/7076:7077 > 1:65535
  • UDP/9078:9079 > 1:65535

Ring Doorbell 2

• TCP/1:65535 > 9998

Just require 2 firewall rules to allow the Ring clients and Ring devices to talk out to these ports. Hopefully helpful to somebody else. With this I have a 100% working Ring Doorbell 2 behind Sophos UTM.

1 Like

They did publish them…

For some reason the link just leads to their support homepage now. Here was the link, just in case it starts working again. https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/205385394-What-Ports-do-I-need-to-open-in-my-firewall-for-Ring-Doorbells-and-Chimes-

That article is currently being updated. I’ll let you know once it is finished :slight_smile:

Update:

Hey neighbors, you can find the updated version of this Help Center article on the ports and protocols used by Ring devices here. If you have any more in-depth or advanced technical questions on this, please follow up with our support team at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

2 Likes

Yeah I did find this, but when I went to the page it said I was not authorized to access the article. I can view other articles fine.

@BitzerMaloney wrote:

Yeah I did find this, but when I went to the page it said I was not authorized to access the article. I can view other articles fine.

Yeah that was weird to take it offline to update it, but hopefully they update it fast because I reference it about twice a month, inevitably, when dealing with client issues.

had cause to ring up Support yesterday and was told you no longer have to open any ports for the doorbells.

I am having problems with my RVD 2 and a new tp link mesh system - so I asked about opening ports and was told that’s a thing of the past.

Maybe that’s why they took it down ?

I have a call booked with a level 2 tech on Tuesday so I will ask him.

Dave

@whiteswan wrote:

had cause to ring up Support yesterday and was told you no longer have to open any ports for the doorbells.

I am having problems with my RVD 2 and a new tp link mesh system - so I asked about opening ports and was told that’s a thing of the past.

Maybe that’s why they took it down ?

I have a call booked with a level 2 tech on Tuesday so I will ask him.

Dave

NAT has generally made port forwarding/triggering unnecessary and a thing of the past. Most consumer routers will have zero problems with ports.

However, if you have a dedicated hardware firewall, that can be a different story, but usually there’s a way to whitelist entire devices (by MAC or IP) so that they are exempt from the firewall, again making port opening irrelevant. But there are some limited cases where you may need to open specific ports in the firewall for each Ring (or most any other IoT device) device. However, your consumer TP-Link mesh router/wifi is not going to be one of them.

If you want to discuss your particular issue further, I’d suggest creating a new post with the problems you’re having, the devices and networks you’re using when having the problems, etc. so as not to clog up this port-related thread with a separate issue. I don’t work for Ring nor are a moderator so I can’t just move this myself. But if you post a new topic I’ll see it, even if it takes me a couple hours. If you’re using a PC to post here, you can tag me specifically which will email me. Tag me by typing @abqnm and as you type it should give you a drop down to choose my username. This won’t work on mobile though, so if on mobile, I’ll just see your post when it shows up in the rss feed.

3 Likes

I have gone through Ring’s Support Article on the ports to open up for Ring devices. And there seems to be missing Firewall Rules specified in the below support document. I keep having to open all ports in order to get my Ring Devices to work. Any ideas?

Please can you get them to update it again with why there is outbound traffic to port 8108? The support team on live chat and Twitter are somewhat missing the point:

Thank you