Ring Door Desktop App losing connection

I have had my door bell for a couple of years with no issues but now when I try to open the desktop app I can’t get a live view. It seems to work fine on my smartphone app and then after I do that sometimes the desktop app will start working again. Any help with this is appreciated.

Hey @dvppaul. Could you try removing the Desktop app from your computer, restarting your computer and then reinstalling the app to see if this helps? It’s possible your desktop computer doesn’t have a strong enough connection to your internet in order to pull up the Live View, which could be the reason why your phone can, as it has cellular data to backup if the wifi is weak.

I tried your recommendations and I am still getting the issue. FYI the computer is plugged into the ethernet of my router so I think it has the best connection. It has been working fine for a couple of years and I have not changed anything. sometimes I get the “Activating” with the spinning dots, sometimes I just get a black screen and sometimes it just goes back to the dashboard. However when I try after I use my iphone app, it seems to connect without a problem. It is like my desktop can’t wake up the connection.

@dvppaul Thanks for giving that a try! That is possible, but there may be restrictions on the computer with the version that it’s running, or any network restrictions that may be causing this too. Just to check, do you have any VPNs enabled on your computer? What computer are you running this on, as well as what its the OS version for the computer?

No VPN

Windows 10

I just installed the ring app on another computer and getting the same problem

@dvppaul Thanks for letting me know! Just to ensure there is nothing out of ordinary here since this is happening on another computer, could you please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here? We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19. This has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. Let me know if they’re able to dig a bit more into this for you! :slight_smile: