Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about Amazon Sidewalk here!

Ring 2 audio problems

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Re: Ring 2 audio problems

I had the same issue. I had purchased the Chime Pro and had it plugged near the internet modem; I switched placing, plugged it inside near the front door and voila, issue resolved 💯%.

The Chime Pro extends the Wi-Fi and helps with interference of walls and other objects. The RSSI went from 68 to 47; the lower the number the better connection.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Thanks @smily4u2.  I am not sure that is my problem.  My RSSI is 40, and reading the previous posts from the begining, this is an issue isolated to android devices.  The issue does not take place on my wifes iphone.

@Riley_Ring is there a solution for this yet?

Highlighted
New Neighbor II

Agree with u Travis3. We are directly connected to the router with the Elite, and I have no issues using my ipad, the problem lies within the newer android phones. Sure wish for a resolve.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Just got my Ring 2 yesterday and have an Android Phone (Samsung Galaxy S10) 

Very first test, when my wife arrived home I tried to talk to her at the door: she could not hear me and I could not hear her - extremely muted at both ends. 

I have found this thread and the discussion on the Samsung forum - so my first thought was  to go with the concensus to turn off the Event Timeline Viewer History - well I cannot find that setting in the Ring App! Nor can I find a "New Features" Folder (does that mean the ETVH is no longer a 'new feature' and now standard? If so, then how exactly do I turn it off in the interim, until a permanent fix is produced? )

One interesting foot-note - when I actually used the timeline feature to scroll to the event when my wife was at the door, that replays with absolutely normal volume - completely different to the actual 'live' event! 

Highlighted
New Neighbor II

Yes, exactly the same for us, playback is perfect. The post about turning off video timeline event history I think was before they updated it. You are correct no way to turn it off. I have not called customer service again, been gone and just busy, but would love updates if others find solutions. Don't do what we did and return yours for the $500 Elite! We thought it was connection so got the Elite which is hard wired to router. Ended up, it was both of our Galaxy phones, which we love and won't trade out! Waste of $.😑 Hoping for a fix soon. Has something to do with the microphones on the Galaxy phones that cause talking to door to be garbled. Please do keep us updated if anyone finds resolve.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

@Sheteaches - one alternative 'work-around' is to get an Echo Show - I actually purchased one along with the Ring 2 as a Cyber Monday Bundle. Using that to answer the door does not exhibit the problem (nor my Wife's i-phone - but of course like you, there is no way I'm giving up my Galaxy!) 

Now that option as a necessity - for someone in your case where both household users have the Samsung phones - is especially disappointing - to have people like yourself be giving more money to fix an issue that should be addressed by the system provider! Especially now that there is no way to disable the event history timeline as a temporary work-around.

But of course a Show does not have the same portability as your phone - in my case I spend a lot of time in my home office so can leave plugged in there situated on my desk or move it to family room in the evening. Not ideal but at least it is somewhat of a work-around. If they weren't $50 apiece (for a 5 - 8's are $80) I would not mind having 4 of them. Maybe Amazon/Ring should comp us some of these until they restore the fundamental capabilty that is neccesary? Smiley Wink

Another possible option with greater portability might be if you have a Tablet? I have an older Samsung Tablet and just installed the Ring App this evening - bit late at this time of writing to test its functionality with communication with the bell/camera so will update on that tomorrow. 

Ring - are you paying attention here? What are you doing about this? You must surely realize that this is a HUGE segment of your served market - hopefully you are aggressively pursuing a solution. But by removing the ability to turn off the feature that at least enables its fundamental capabilty suggests you are not listening here. At least put that capability back until you can resolve the issue - at which time the feature to HAVE the event history would be very much desirable.

But for a choice of Event History vs fundamental operation (and again - this is COMPLETELY UNUSABLE for its primary function if you have a Samsung) that is surely obvious? 

Highlighted
New Neighbor II

Yes, we have 2 Echo Shows and 1 Echo Show 5, they do work well, but we had someone come to our door when we were away we did not know over Thanksgiving and were unable to communicate with them. My Ipad works well, but I do not carry it around with me like my phone. That is when I feel like we need our phones to work  for security reasons. Yes, I agree, I do hope Ring is reading and listening to these issues with Galaxy phone users!  We all appreciate a shout out for any answers.

Highlighted
New Neighbor II

Unfortunately, the issue you have having is because of your phones.  I have a Galaxy 10 plus, and my husband has the 9plus, and neither work well.  Ipads and Iphones work great.  It is some kind of glitch with our microphones.  There are quite a few threads in here regarding this.  We thought it was internet issues so returned ours and bought the Elite ($500)!  Please don't do what we did, it was a waste of $.  Even though we are hardwired now, not wireless, we still have the issues with our phones.  My ipad works great, along with our Echo Shows, but phone audio is choppy and unrecognizable.  Many of us are pleading for a fix bc we love our phones and need them to work with Ring!

Highlighted
New Neighbor

quote=Sheteaches
we had someone come to our door when we were away we did not know over Thanksgiving and were unable to communicate with them

And that is the whole fundamental essence of the device right there and it is COMPLETELY UNUSABLE in this regard

Apologies @Sheteaches in failing to observe you already had Show and Tablet (pad) capabilities and of course you (or anyone else with Samsumg phones) without those additional devices you would have no capability at all to utilize the Ring for its intended purpose.  The suggestions which you yourself had already discovered are for those who might not have considered those devices as interim solutions. 

But again your message highlights the extremely restricted capability. 

Highlighted
New Neighbor

I might have found the problem to clear up the static issues with the S9.  Since our devices hear everything we say regardless if we know it or not, I went into every single app I have on my phone and disabled the microphone from those apps I don't use the microphone for.  You would be surprised by how many apps have the microphone setting turned on, like Google, Yelp for example.  Now by doing this you can't use the microphone feature for that app (obviously) which is the downfall; but for me I am fine actually typing my text and not speaking into a device and then having the text be all jacked up because I did not talk clear enough.

To disable the microphone for each app:

Go to Settings in your phone

Scroll down to Apps

Click on the app

Scroll down and under the “App Settings” area click on “Permissions".  There may or may not be a microphone option; from there you can toggle it off or on.

Anyway, this worked for me, hopefully it works for others having the same issue as I have spent days googling this issue and how to resolve.