Ring 2 Door Bell - Very Unreliable

Good afternoon,

I have a Ring 2 door bell which is proving to be very unreliable whenever i want to check the camera. It does not connect for around 70% of the time i try. I get the ‘loading live’ view for a while before the error ‘could not open live view’ message.

My other wifi devices work fine around the home and my broadband connection tests have gone back strong and good too. I’ve also tried the connectivity test within the app and it always come back with success. The wifi test within the app is always positive also.

I’m at a lost as to what do next other than returning the device as faulty and not fit for purpose.

Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Rob.

1 Like

Sorry to hear about this @low610! Live view connection is often related to wifi signal strength, or RSSI. It sounds like you’ve checked your wifi thoroughly, and if the RSSI is also good, then the next best step is checking the mobile device connection. I recommend trying the following on your mobile device:

• Close other apps running in the background.
  • disable bluetooth and VPN.
  • Test on wifi only, then on data only to see if one connection is better than the other.
  • Remove and reinstall the Ring app.

I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Good morning,

Many thanks for your reply. I will give this a try.

Thanks again,

Rob.

1 Like

Its due to their newest firmware they released and they refuse to acknowledge theres an issue. Its slowed down the device tremendously and doesnt even charge if you use the hardwired option. If you’re still within the return period I suggest you find a better product as these doorbells are now useless unless Ring puts out a fix.

2 Likes

I have the ring doorbell 2, and I have to say it was a total waste of money, a very expensive doorbell that doesn’t deliver. I also pay the monthly fee which I will be cancelling, I was considering purchasing the indoor and outdoor cameras, but I won’t be going ahead with that purchase now after my experience with the doorbell.

1 Like

Same here for at least a few months. One thing I did notice this morning is that our devices have no problems showing the live view of our doorbells when configuring/changing the motion zones. No delay or timeout errors. Has anyone else noticed this?

No sorry Ring community manager, seems to me you are just making excuses up now, why do you feel you have to blame the wi fi all the time. I spent nearly 2 hours today on the phone to ring with regards to having no 2way audio and again they tried to blame the wi fi signal, but then admitted there’s a fault with the bell, these doorbells are just a load of rubbish.

1 Like

I’ve had no problems with my doorbell 2. All works perfectly fine.

Yes it is due to their new firmware update, to which they don’t acknowledge. Which is bad for them.
I have 4 cameras setup and the doorbell…since update doorbell is very unreliable which is hypocrite to what they tell people about their product…am switching my equipment to a different source and canceling my plan…
Was on phone with them for 2 hours yesterday trying to get doorbell camera to work right. It worked off and on still…they don’t have a resolution to it

1 Like

You are correct, they don’t have a resolution to their own mistake…

I have mixed feelings about Ring 2 Doorbells. I love them when they stay connected. I feel secure at home and away.
Problem is, and this is an opinion after much experimenting, their WiFi antenna/ WiFi connectivity is unreliable in the home environment. We have a joke at work: “It worked great in the lab/ simulation!”
I’m standing right next to one of my 4 devices, it’s off line and my iPhone has excellent signal, connectivity with low latency (43ms ping) and maximum speed for my account.
I understand environmental effects on WiFi. I understand walls and doors and siding and all the caveats Ring and WiFi equipment providers warn/ advise about.
It just makes no sense to me why some of these Ring devices can’t seem to play nice reliably.

I also have a ring door bell, this thing HARDLY WORKS! I try to check the live screen occasionally or in the middle of the night (since I work away from home and have a family) and this thing wont even show me the LIVE view. All I get is either “loading” or “error” I even pay the monthly subscription! Not doing this anymore, it’s been too long for this product to be so unreliable, especially for this type of product.

Its a waste of money, I’m sure I can find a much better more reliable product elsewhere. I also see other people have similar problems?? Since 2020? Guess I’m not the only one who noticed these consistent issues with ring not showing me the live view.

Gotta get rid of this thing :+1:t3:

Hi neighbors. For Live View or connectivity concerns, please try the following troubleshooting steps:

• Check the RSSI for your Doorbell to determine if it’s receiving a strong and stable wifi connection. You can find more information on RSSI in our Community post here.
  • For help improving the wifi signal to your Doorbell, check out the troubleshooting steps here. You may need to contact your internet service provider for assistance with more advanced router or wifi settings.
  • Test out the Ring app and the Live View when connected to both wifi and cellular data to see if the connectivity concerns persist across both connections or only one.
  • Ensure that you are running the latest version of the Ring app and of your phone’s operating software. More on mobile device compatibility with the Ring app can be found here.

I hope this troubleshooting information is helpful. If your concerns persist, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

Same here. The RDB2 is constantly losing connection to the WiFi network. Yes, the signal strength is very good (RSSI -37), and the doorbell is hardwired with 100 percent battery and “hardwired” noted in the settings. I beg to differ with the claim being made that the problem is signal strength. My RDB2 is not more than 12 feet from the router and the RSSI as noted above is in the excellent quality. The thing won’t stay connected for more than ten minutes. I have rebooted both the RDB2 and the router. Not a fix. I don’t know what to do at this point. The doorbell camera isn’t working as advertised, and yet Ring is blaming the owners instead of fixing the problem. This can’t go on much longer. We will need to either get a fix from Ring or start looking for another doorbell from another company.

We are now looking for another doorbell. After dozens of hours of trying to get the doorbell to stay connected, and dozens of hours on the Forum and on the phone trying to get it to work reliably, we are giving up. The problem is with the doorbell, not our home WiFi network. I am a WiFi consultant. So, we decided to replace our Ring Doorbell 2 with another doorbell from a different manufacturer.

Have a 3 year old wired doorbell at another house, still works perfect. Installed 2 new ones this past month and the most annoying offline status. First one worked for a month then would not recognize wifi. Did all the checks with customer suport ,they send a new one. That one connected for a minute and then offline permanently too. Wouldn’t trust these on my house ,let alone a business. Seems anything on amazon is cheaply made to keep the cost down.

the same stock answer for any problems with Ring devices. its your networks problem… its your isp problem.
nope its rings problem.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.