cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resistor or not???

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Resistor or not???

Do I actually nee an in line resistor installed for a Ring Doorbell 3 using a plug in transformer that is only 500mA? Do I need a resistor installed for my ring doorbell 3 using a plug in transformer? The maker and everyone that used it claim NO! Confused...

( Input: 120V AC 60Hz 0.2A Output: 24V AC 500mA)

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: Resistor or not???

Hey @UncleAl88. Thanks for reaching out to the Community for more help here! Despite user manuals stating otherwise - a resistor is not required when connecting direct to a transformer for the Ring Video Doorbell 3/3+.  In addition, the diode is built in so no external diode is required with digital chimes. You can learn more about what the setup should be like in our Help Center Article here

Like my answer? Accept it as a solution (click on the 'Accepted Solution' button next to reply). Learn more about the Community, here.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Thanks. I also have a doorbell gen 1 that I might use in a location without power. Does a gen 1 need the resistor?

Highlighted
Community Manager

@UncleAl88 Yes! The Ring Video Doorbell Gen 1 needs one, as you can see in our Help Center Article here. Smiley Happy 

Like my answer? Accept it as a solution (click on the 'Accepted Solution' button next to reply). Learn more about the Community, here.