Replace Old Airphone with Ring 2

I have a Ring 2 battery charging prior to installation. We have an old (about 1987) Airphone model 1BG-1GD (if I’m remembering correctly). It has the button and speaker by the front door (4 wires) and two wall-mounted handsets inside the house. I’ll attach some pictures - I guess I won’t add photos - this site is rejecting my jpeg images. I see a video button above - if need be, I guess I can do a video. Why no images???

I can install the Ring 2 wireless using a battery - that would be okay - but it would be nice to hardwire it so I don’t have to screw with the battery. I’m pretty proficient at most mechanical things but my electrical skills suck, so I’m hoping someone can give me some guidance.

By the way, does anyone know how to open the handset? There’s a split between the front and back case but I’d all but broken the darn thing try to access the inside. I’m not saving it for posterity, but it could go in a garage sale for someone that likes to play with this stuff.

Thanks

Hi @irishmikedavis. You should have the option to upload photos using the Photos option in your post, so I apologize if it was not working correctly for you. With that said, the Doorbell 2 is not compatible with wireless door chimes or any chime/intercom system using a DC transformer. I’d suggest looking at our Chime Kit Compatibility List, which will show all of the compatible mechanical and digital chime kits that the Doorbell 2 can be hardwired to. It’s also important to note that while hardwiring the Doorbell 2 will provide it with a trickle charge, you may still need to manually charge the battery if it drains more quickly than it can be charged from the doorbell circuit. Based on what you’re describing, it sounds like the system you have would not be compatible. I hope this information helps! :slight_smile: