Removable battery - Doorbell 2nd generation?

Is it possible to remove/replace the battery? All the referencees I’ve seen do not show the version with 2 security screws but only one screw which releases the faceplate.

Seems to me that I have to remove the whole device from the wall frame to recharge the battery.

True or false?

Hi @Castalla. The Ring Video Doorbell Generation 2 does not have a removable battery. Our Ring Video Doorbell 3/3 Plus are our models that have removable batteries. The only way to charge the Ring Video Doorbell Generation 2, is to move it from its mounting location and charge it. I hope this information helps

1 Like

@Tom_Ring wrote:

Hi @Castalla. The Ring Video Doorbell Generation 2 does not have a removable battery. Our Ring Video Doorbell 3/3 Plus are our models that have removable batteries. The only way to charge the Ring Video Doorbell Generation 2, is to move it from its mounting location and charge it. I hope this information helps

Hmm. You really ned to update your documentation to emphasise this. In fact, overall, your operatng instructions, etc. need a severe makeover where many features are unclear.

1 Like

Hi @Castalla. The features and specifications for the Ring Video Doorbell Generation 2 can be found here. I will be sure to pass this along to the appropriate team, and mention your request to be more clear about the wording in this document. Thank you, as I’m sure this may help others in the future.

I wish to agree with the comment about misleading information vis a vis whether the Ring series 2 has a removable battery. I have purchased a spare battery because I read that the battery in this model is replaceable (which it ought to be) but is clearly NOT so I have wasted almost £20! Not happy

2 Likes

Hi @Mikelauro. It sounds like you may have 2 of our Ring Video Doorbells mixed up. The Ring Video Doorbell 2 does have a removable battery. This doorbell is also no longer available for purchase and has been replaced with the Ring Video Doorbell 3. The Ring Video Doorbell 2nd generation (2020 release) does not have a replaceable battery. To find out which Doorbell you have, take a look at this Help Center article here. I hope this information helps!

1 Like

I’m really unhappy with my purchase of a ring doorbell (2020 release) the battery is not replaceable and I’m 76. I live alone and I’m not capable of removing the camera to recharge the battery. I would not have purchased this unit if I would have known the battery isn’t replaceable. What can I do to fix this. I have had this unit 4 days now

Hi @user15880. I would suggest looking at the return policy from where you purchased the Ring Video Doorbell from. If you are able to return it, you can purchase a doorbell that is better suited to your needs.

You guys have to understand how having a doorbell called “Ring Video Doorbell 2” and “Ring Video Doorbell 2nd Generation” can easily confuse the average consumer, yeah?

Heck, I consider myself pretty tech savvy but, now I have to return two rechargeable batteries and a charging station. I assumed that 2nd generation and 2 were the same when shopping online, and there was no clear indication otherwise.

It’s usually clearer that it’s a new generation of the same model. For example, “Ring Video Doorbell 1 (2nd gen.)” would probably resolve the mix-up for most people.

1 Like

Wondering why Best Buy recommended and sold me an extra battery for my doorbell camera when the battery is not swappable?

Wondering why everything I read shows the battery is swappable? In fact, I did not see anything indicating any of these camera were sold with a hardwired battery.

Returning the extra battery will be the third trip I have had to make to return/exchange items related to this purchase. The fact the battery is not removable should be made abundantly clear in advertising & on the packaging.

I think I’m taking to camera back all together. It appears there is no way to turn the camera off when you bring it inside to charge it? There is no way to ever turn it off?

Hi @Onlinealias. I suggest leaving feedback for BestBuy about this concern, as they are the ones who control how products are displayed in their store. As you can see here, under the Tech Specs section, we refer to this doorbell as having a built-in rechargeable battery. You can control recording by toggling off the Motion Detection in the Ring app. Just select the doorbell and use the toggle to control this I hope this helps

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.