Phone does not ring when doorbell is pressed

Hi, I have samsung S8+ and ring doorbell 2. When the doorbell is pressed my phone vibrates but does not “ring”. My wife has a Samsung A5 and her phone vibrates and rings.

I have been searching for an answer to this problem to no avail.

Is there some setting on the ring app on my phone (S8+) that is set incorrect that I cannot find or as I have read somewhere that the S8+ is not totally comparable with the ring doorbell.

Hey @kronkie. Could you try removing the Ring app from your phone, rebooting your phone and then reinstalling the Ring app? Once reinstalled, go into the app, sign in and refresh your notification preferences by allowing the notifications to come through. In addition, if you go into the Main Menu > Devices > Device Settings > Alert Settings > App Alert Tones and verify you have the tone set up there. After this, ding your Doorbell after closing the application and let me know if you hear it ring! :slight_smile:

I had the same issue with my Samsung phone, the phone vibrated but did not ring. You can select a ring tone for each Ring device. If you go into the app settings for device notifications and select a ring tone you should hear the ring tone selected as a sample played by the phone. If you don’t hear a sample ring tone on selection one reason may be that your phone’s notification volume is turned to mute. Go to your phone’s setting and turn up.the volume for notifications. When you then return to the app and select a ring tone you should hear a sample sound. If you do then at least you have eliminated the notification volume as the issue

Hi, I have the opposite problem and I think it’s the Ring app. The sound on my phone, Galaxy S10, revertes to vibrate when my phone rings. I’m wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I have done everything, including a Factory reset recommended by Samsung, and it didn’t fix it. I don’t want to delete the Ring app as it’s why I had the Ring doorbell installed, so I could see what’s going on. Any thoughts?

My doorbell just stopped working. I have tried uninstalling, rebooting, checking to make sure notifications are allowed, picked different tones. At this point my phone will vibrate and say there is somoene at my door but will not ring inside or out. The motion detecting has almost stopped. Getting frustrated. If anybody can offer something that will help, I would be very grateful.Thanks.

Hi @Magicjim. You have tried all the basic troubleshooting steps I would recommend. Give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here for further assistance. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

1 Like

I have bought a second-generation ring doorbell and have the same problem with my iPhone.The app from the iPhone has a delay of more than 1minunte on sending the notification and also I don’t have any sound on my iPhone when I received the report. I have tried everything restarting, reinstalling, and rebooting the router, I have changed the settings on my iPhone, however, I can not figure out why my iPhone doesn’t ring when the doorbell is pressed. My neighbor has a different product and when I press on his doorbell the app from his phone rings immediately and has half of the price I paid for this product. Can u help me out or I shall send it back this product because it will be a waste of time?

1 Like

I have been in Device>Device Settings> my app does not have Alert Settings> App Alert Tones these settings have been removed. I have the same problem but with iPhone 11 and ring doorbell second generation. When the doorbell is pressed my phone doesn’t ring or vibrates. Do you have a solution updated to this year not from 6 years ago?

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Issues with Ring Video Doorbell 2nd Gen

Hi @user45998. Since you have tried all the basic troubleshooting steps and are still having the same concern, the next best step would be to reach out to our support team for further assistance.

My bell rings outside on the unit (really useful :rofl:)…but no sound or anything on my phone. I am fed up with all the time wasting to make it work so I will just toss the Ring bell in the trash where it belongs and get another brand.

1 Like