Solved: “People Only Mode” is not people only

Odd. Mine does not detect anything at all with people only mode enabled.

It’s driving me crazy as support is not helping.

I’m having this same problem, however my “people only mode” worked GREAT for months, and now all of a sudden, I get a “Person detected” notification with any little bit of movement, person or not.

1 Like

Just bought 2 outdoor wired cams and 2 indoor wired cams and I’m having an issue with People Only Mode as well. My wired outdoor stick up cams are alerting me about my dog in the backyard and a cat in my driveway, but when I leave for work and walk in front of the same camera that alerted about the cat… nothing.

3 Likes

My people mode has worked pretty well for weeks with no false alerts. I get a light of light/wind motion alerts but when there are people it says person detected. Late last night I had a person alert and there was nothing on the camera. No people, no lights from cars or wind. It was kind of alarming because I’ve never had a false person alert before. Clearly it wasn’t triggered by a person or light, so has anyone else had this issue? Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi @Mike81 & @Lane777smith – could you please share a Ring Video here where this happened? Thank you!

Since 7-30-20 every motion is a “person detected.” Every car no comes up as a person. Really annoying. See video as ALL my motions are like this and say person detected.

Edit. It will not let me upload the video and idk how to save it any other way on my phone. It just a car setting off the motion as a person.

1 Like

Hey @Nightmare69 – you should be able to copy and paste the Ring Share URL… If you click share then message, you can copy and paste that here… Let me know!

https://ring.com/share/8da000bc-7977-4056-b6ca-262e90cd1e2f

Here’s my link.

This is one of many person detected alerts I get and it’s just cars driving by. I’ve lowered the motion zones but it doesn’t help.

https://ring.com/share/e2e6df91-31d2-427e-b436-f5a6616c9f12

Thank you! Extremely helpful. I have sent a note to the team for further investigation on this. Appreciate these examples. Thank you!!

My wired Ring Cam is faced parallel to the street. After the new App update, I tried the people only mode. The funny thing is, it now identifies every car that goes by as a person, but when a real person approaches my door, I get no notifications. At this point, I’ve had to turn off notifications because they’re totally useless.

1 Like

I hope the issue is resolved as every, and I mean every, motion is “person detected.” I finally turned it off.

Has this been fixed? I have battery operated cam. I’ve had fed ex people up the driveway and up the porch with no alert and no recording. Is there something I can send to the tech team to help? I ve tried everything I can think of – nothing works

Same happens to me. A cat walking by triggers motion detection, the app mark it correctly as no-human… But it notifies me anyway even if I set people only mode. Very annoying expecially in the middle of the night

1 Like

This is BS. I’ve tried everything suggested, but “people only mode” for the Ring battery cam spotlights catches everything but people.

Then there’s the sensitivity adjustment. I move it up all the way and nothing, but move it down a little and then everything triggers it. Does Max sensitivity mean most sensitive to motion or least sensitive to motion. I ask because I think you have it backwards or mislabeled.

Same here in the UK.

People only mode seems to modify me of more false positives than normal mode. I’ve also got an issue whereby my motion zone is completely ignored. It’s set about 10 yards from my door yet it still notifies of cars on the road at least 50 yards from the zone border. A 50 yard tolerance is not acceptable.

It’s gotten to the point where I completely missed a genuine chancer testing my car door last week because I was so flooded with alerts, I stopped checking them. Not good, Ring. You seem to be failing at the bare minimum we expect from your product and I’m currently leaning to the cheaper, higher rates Nest products.

https://ring.com/share/de700e53-a7c8-4660-9b79-4528c9859da0

I am getting false motion alerts all the time. We installed it today and I figured it was an app setting. It is on people mode. It does not detect people. It picks up everything else but when we leave the house and walk down the walk that is in direct line with the camera, the camera does nothing. Where have we messed up a setting? I see there are issues with the app. I did the custom zone to leave out the tops of the trees, have adjusted the motion sensor 50 different ways, used people only and turned people only off. It is like it see a person one time and if that person walks back in front of it, it doesn’t see them anymore - like it is a one time thing and then it’s done. I would appreciate any help with settings or such that anyone can offer up. Wind is a problem at times and I don’t have an issue with that but its giving way too many notifications on nothing and way too few on people actually coming up the walk.

Nope, nothing works to fix this POS. My phone goes off constantly while I’m at work. It annoys me and everyone else in the office. I have done everything. This thing is garbage. The designer needs to be fired, Yep, I’m irritated to the max

1 Like

I have just installed a spotlight camera battery

On my pre-existing devices the people only mode works fine with no problems

On the spotlight camera at night it still provides motion notifications when cats walk through the line of sight for the camera.

I do have customisable motion detection enabled, but the path the cats walk down is the key route we need to monitor for security and so tweaking the active zone for the motion detector won’t work here

Solutions?

1 Like

Hi neighbors! As mentioned in our help center article about People Only Mode, occasionally when in People Only Mode, light reflection, as from an outside window, can activate motion detection. If you’re getting a lot of unwanted notifications look for reflective surfaces that may be shining light onto your device. Alternatively, you can turn off the People Only Mode setting.

The recently updated motion detection feature that gives you the ability to create customizable motion zones has the Motion Verification feature include into it. So you now have Motion Verification with Customizable Motion zones. These features were combined to give you a more precise motion detection experience on your battery devices. Using these features or combining them with current options can help to improve motion alert accuracy. :slight_smile: