Peephole Cam Not Capturing

So I have a peephole cam that faces the stairs leading up to my porch. I thought it was going to be perfect. It doesn’t any of what I want. It has never captured the mail or packages being delivered. but if I leave the door open, it captures all my movements around the living room.

Is there a setting I need to change? I was going to switch my security system to Ring as I am having issues with my current one, but this peephole cam is a real issue for me. Right now it’s pretty useless for what I wanted it for.

Hey @BmoreSafe. What does your Live View look like? What do you have your Motion Settings/Zones set to? I have a Peephole Cam that is upstairs as well, so I’m happy to help here! :slight_smile:

Here’s a screenshot of my live view.
Motion detection set to most sensitive, slide bar all the way to the right.

@BmoreSafe Thank you for that screenshot! It seems like you had an ideal setup, especially with how your motion sensitivity is. What is your Motion Frequency set to? If it’s on Standard, please switch it to Frequent and monitor this for me to see if this helps for future. You can learn more about Motion Frequency and why I recommend this change in our Help Center Article here.

Motion frequency is set to frequent.

When I go through the motion wizard, when it gets to “adjust motion zones” it always has the motion sensitivity set in the center, no nmatter how many times I change it to the highest sensitivity. But the motion detection setting itself is set to the highest sensitivity like I had it.

That’s the only disconnect I can really find. I’m considering changing over my security system to Ring for reasons I won’t get in to, but this is a definite set back if it can’t even detect something right in front of it.

@BmoreSafe Thank you so much for confirming that for me! It definitely sounds like you should get this checked over with our support team before calling it quits. Could you please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here? We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19. This has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. Let me know if they’re able to get this sorted out for you! :slight_smile:

While I have no been able to make contact with a memeber of RIng’s supportteam, I do know what the problem is, just not why it’s a problem. The problem is the screen door. It will not record/capture through it. Yes, it is set that I have a screen door. When I open the screen door and walk around the porch, I get notifications. Close the screen door, nothing.

I’ll keep messing with the settings for now. Very frustrating.

Hi There! I’m having the same issue and was curious about your screen door. We have a split screen door so the top of the screen can drop down and fresh air comes in. This is closest to our camera. With the screen up or down we’ve had issues not receiving alerts for deliveries that come essentially to the door. At minimum I’ve set the motion zone for anywhere a package or person would come up to. That said, I’ve gotten random alerts like cars if I don’t have the advanced motion on. So frustrating! Any luck?

I was told their devices do not capture motion through glass. I ended up “fixing” it so I could attach it to the outside of my screen door.

Really?! Never did I read about this in any ring document. Wow that’s super disappointing. No point to have it basically. Thanks for letting me know what you found out so quickly. ??

I hadn’t read about it either. Once I learned about it, a Google did bring me to a Ring page that states as much. I ended up sawing off the piece that is supposed to go through the door and making it work by gluing it to the outside of my screen door. Obviously not ideal, but it works. I was not going through the hassle of returning it.