cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ovoid ghosts on video doorbell pro

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Ovoid ghosts on video doorbell pro

Frequent false-positives from video doorbell pro (battery powered) located in covered porch area.  Slowly-drifting "ghosts" appear ovoid, translucent, small.  Out-of-focus micro-spiders or something?  Condensation?  Can distinguish from headlamp reflections & shadows.  Any ideas?  Any solution?  Issue is peculiar to doorbell, no issue with other Ring cams.

15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: Ovoid ghosts on video doorbell pro

Hi @Schooner , it would help if you were able to add a share link for a video from your device to help give more context. Also, we currently do not have a Doorbell Pro that uses battery, might your device be a Video Doorbell or Video Doorbell 2?

Highlighted
New Neighbor

You're right:  ghost-prone cam is VDPro (16vdc doorbell circuit).  I do have another battery powered VD2 - similary situated, it does not share the issue.  Sample stills attached from recent vid.   Customer Service says "probably a flare" which I take to mean a transient optical reflection.  "Ghosts" are generally observed in late twilight or dark, typically drifting along sigmoid path from top to bottom with 6 second transit time.Ghosts

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi @Schooner ! Is your Sensitivity Slider set to all objects or human only?

Got a question? The Community is full of answers! Use our Search bar at the top for quick results.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Sensitivity in "Motion Settings" (iOS app) is set at point #2 of 5 along 5-point slider.

Highlighted
Community Manager

Thanks! I suggest playing around with the motion zones and sensitivity slider. If a bug does crawl across the device it definitely may trigger an alert no matter the settings. Please keep in mind the team is always working on perfecting our motion settings so feedback like this is appreciative! 

Got a question? The Community is full of answers! Use our Search bar at the top for quick results.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

I’m happy to see your post since we have had the same thing every night (sometimes 2-3times) for weeks. Can’t figure out what or why since it is winter on east coast. Have you learned any more about what these ‘ghosts’ are?
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Much reduced frequency of late, I figured Ring had suppressed the issue with a FW update. Suspects remain reflections (vehicle lights falling obliquely on lens, refracted into camera) or insects/Arthropods (tiny bugs walking on lens?). Adjacent maple tree is infested with maple mites...
Highlighted
New Neighbor

I’m getting the same ‘ovoid ghosts’ drifting across the videos and causing alerts all night (https://ring.com/share/6794656464354151914).  I had this Ring Doorbell Pro for over a year before the problem started. Lighting and other factors have not changed.  I tried cleaning the lens and reducing sensitivity - neither worked. As others have said, constant false alarms defeat the purpose of having a smart doorbell or camera.

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Same issues happening nightly on our ring video doorbell 2. This is very annoying. Couple this with recent issues with Ring security and it frustrates us even more.
/* */