Original Ring Doorbell Always B&W

My original Ring doorbell seems to be stuck in Black and White mode. A day or two ago I tried a hard reset. It then seemed to be in color for a while in quick tests, but now still records in B&W, with maybe a flash of color at the start. Is it broken?

1 Like

Hi @Djschwartz! Much of the lens adjustment on our devices is dependant on the environment. I recommend bringing your Doorbell inside to test in multiple lighting scenarios, to see how well it adjusts. Lens adjustment and video quality can also be dependant on communication resources and wifi signal strength. Check out our Community post about RSSI for tips on optimizing this signal strength.

Brought inside, tested, brought back out. Still only B&W. Odd that although it has wired power, the app says it is on battery, but always 100%. Anyway, temps are not abnormal now - 50-70 F. Why does it not use color? Used to always, now it was just that one brief period after I got sick of it and tried total reset.

Thank you for attempting this @Djschwartz! If your Ring device seems to be absolutely stuck in night vision mode no matter what steps you perform, the next best step will be to reach out to our support team for some in-depth troubleshooting.

Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

Mine has been normally in black and white mode for the last few years, with an occasional fraction of a second of color at the start of a video. I just got color back when I reset it to get it to connect to the Chime Pro, instead of producing the rising blue ring of death.

I also got the “not wired” problem. Fixed by thumping the top to get is seated properly.
Will see how long color lasts this time. A whole hour so far :slight_smile:

1 Like