Orbs floating by doorbell cam

Yes, its someone visiting you. That’s cool you caught it on camera. They really wanted you to see them. It was a big one! Love it !!!

Yes!! We see ours anytime between 12:00am and 4:18 am. Very strange!!

We have had our ring doorbell pro for a couple of years and never saw the orbs until recently. Ours started February 15th. A lot of these posts say that it started in Feb or March. I don’t think insects around the world all united and decided to crawl on the ring doorbell at the same time. I have security cameras pointing in the exact same direction and they never see them. But the security cameras work off of pixelation and not a heat signature. I’m thinking of setting up a stick up cam looking at the same direction to see if both devices pick it up. If they did, that is something for sure. If only one device picked it up, then that may tell us an insect or device malfunction. I would need to make sure that the stick up cam uses the exact same motion detection as our ring doorbell pro.

1 Like

Yes, what is that? It’s so creepy. My ring went off 3 times last night while we were sleeping. Three different orbs. What is it?

Yes thata exactly what mine looks like too.

I agree. My Ring Doorbell Pro NEVER had these issues prior to Feb of 2020. I’ve had my unit for nearly 18 months and never had any “orbs”. I think the answer falls under the category of malfunctioning units. I suspect they updated the firmware on our units when Ring was having all of their security issues and now it’s causing these malfunctions that appear as floating orbs. I never have malfunctions during the day and from what I can tell there are no insects at all on my unit. I have the interior and exterior of my home sprayed by professionals quarterly and we’ve not seen any insects/bugs. Additionally, I live in the Upper Midwest and the bugs don’t really come out of hibernation until late March or early April, due to the fact that we have much colder weather than other parts of the country. If it were insects, I highly doubt we’d see the orbs in February when it is often sub zero temps. I never had these false notifications (or floating orbs) previous to Feb and if it were bugs/insects, we should have seen them last year in the warmer months.

Well this doesn’t look good. I have a question before buying the stick-up battery cam. But I see they have quit taking email questions, the chat is only a library response and not a real person and their support phone line just says, “We are not taking calls, goodbye” and hangs up.

I don’t know why this just started for so many people. It’s been happening to me for 2 years on my doorbell pro. Ring either doesn’t know what it is, or they don’t want to tell us. It has been asked before. It CANNOT be bugs. It CANNOT be glare. It CANNOT be firmware. It’s something else. The fact that they won’t answer just makes it worse.

1 Like

We have these perfect orbs that appear grey-white colored that float around in view of our Ring doorbell cam, setting off the Ring. The circles last about 7-10 seconds before floating off the field of vision. They occur frequently. We have never had more than one per night. For example we had one April 2 at 2:17 a.m. and one at 11 p.m. on 3/29 and at 9:09 p.m. on 3/28, etc.

The orbs appear only at night. It is not an insect or spider. Our porch light was not turned on for any of the dates mentioned.

We certainly do have an occasional spider or insect that appears on camera.

These orbs do not move like an insect or spider. They float. They do not crawl. They do not look like spiders. There are no legs or features except for the greyish-whitish circle. The circles appear to be about the same size, which appear about the size of a button on a dress-shirt. They float almost like they are on varying invisible tracks before disappearing. Has anyone else experienced this? If not, any thoughts?

2 Likes

Check for spider webs hanging in front of your camera lens. That’s what my floating orbs were–cleaned them off and then the wierd orbs stayed gone. Because they are so close to the lens, it tricks the lens into thinking it is a person.

Hey neighbors! Wanted to chime in here, these ‘orbs’ are bugs (even tiny dust mites) that appear on your camera. The focal point is farther out so you usually can’t see it in focus :slight_smile: Let us know if you have any further questions. We’re more than happy to help!

Yes twice now. About 1am - 1:30 am. Notifications go off at that time. Don’t know what to make of it.

This started 3 nights ago.

https://ring.com/share/6812044884258721276

1 Like

They are around when it’s too cold for bugs… Can you show us examples?
I have had all types of bugs and both my ring and nest cameras are showing this.
Thank you for updates

Mine started on 3-17th. Yellow gold colored floating circle…
Then one night changed to redish
Been back over 25 times since then .
My mom and I were thinking it was my brother visiting since he passed away …

1 Like

I have had bugs land on the lens before and they were in perfect focus, so it’s not the focal point that makes it appear like these fuzzy orbs. Have you reproduced this in your lab? Since so many have reported it, you must have looked into it. Can you post video of your testing (video of you performing the test, plus the video from the bell). Posting such a video will put this to rest, and you will always be able to point people to it when the question comes up.

I just started getting Orbs floating in front of my camera 5 nights ago. Now I get one every night since. I have had bugs on my camera lens and it does not look like a transparent circle floating.

I had mine for the first time tonight. I set up solar lights today and also sprayed for bugs. Very odd. Happened at 2:59AM and freaked me out! I’m in the Midwest and have had my Ring Pro for almost 6 months and this is the first instance of something odd happening like this. Glad to see others are having the same thing. Scared me for a bit.

https://ring.com/share/6812505274713628825

Same - just started two weeks ago. I have four videos of whatever-it-is, moving at that same slow, almost deliberate pace, seemingly unaffected by the wind. It seems to follow two different patterns, but not the _ exact _ same path in front of the lens; the paths in video #s 1 and 3 are very similar, same in #s 2 and 4. One of these four videos has two different spiderwebs in two different places, actively blowing in the wind, so it’s not spiderwebs. I also have a clip without an orb in it of a spider crawling up the bricks, and in another of the videos with the orb, there’s a bug on the bricks right by the camera, so if it’s bugs causing this, they must be mites or something else very small. I actually work for a company that makes parasiticides, so I’m very curious as to the entomology of the suspect arthropod. I did look up a bunch of these videos online, and it’s remarkable how similar these orbs all are in both motion and speed…

1 Like

I cleaned my lens and have the motion sensitivity to low. When I move my finger across my lens it doesn’t show up since it is not in my zone. The Orbs have come by 4 times so far starting March 18 2020

https://ring.com/share/6805726978797540510