Orbs floating by doorbell cam

I am so glad I found this! I had those weird orange orbs floating from under bushes in my back yard flood light ring and I was afraid I had ghosts or aliens. It is the first time 3/9 but it happened about 5 times.

3 Likes

The furthest back I can find the Orb is February 11, 2020. It’s just one each time. If it was a light shining from the street, then it would not be visible when it gets to the shrub or porch column. Never been a “believer” in Orbs but a bit creeped out by this activity and can’t seem to find a logical answer or cure.

Hi neighbors! Thank you for sharing your images and video examples of these concerns. After viewing and bringing them to the attention of our teams here, it looks like these are bugs. Not a technical bug, but an actual insect.

When insects appear on a lens they will often look circular, lacking color and details. They will usually move in a unique or unpredictable pattern, rather than in a straight line. This might happen more often with the weather warming up in some areas, or in entry ways with lights.

1 Like

I disagree. When this started it was late January and February in the Midwest. The temps were around -5F, so I sincerely doubt any insects or bugs would be outside on my doorbell camera.

4 Likes

We had orbs a fee months ago and twice last night around 9:30

Good point @mreed. While cold temperatures are known to deter insects, or force them into hibernation, it does not kill all of them. It is very common for insects to be attracted to lights and other sources of heat.

Our Doorbells can certainly operate a slightly warmer temperature than the cold outdoors. This is especially true if the device is hardwired, or if it is a Doorbell Pro, as the steady flow of power can raise the device temp slightly.

If the orbs seem to be something other than an insect, such as a light glare, please check the environment for any reflective objects. Our support team is always available for further troubleshooting as well. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Insects seem like a logical explanation, but I’ve had my Ring doorbell installed for months so why are the insects just appearing now? And the fact that so many other homes are only just having insects appear at the same time? Seems rather peculiar.

1 Like

It’s bugs… Nothing more…

I just had one for the first time tonight. What the heck is it?

Yes I have several instances of this

1 Like

Yes, had one set off Ring at 5:28am this morning

https://ring.com/share/6805482191449249921

My doorbell began going off around February 27 during the mid-afternoon. The first day, it happened about 3 times. Then, it continued 2 or three times a day, all times day and night until around March 2. From 1 single to multiples of 4 or 5 would appear. Orbs moving around and across my front porch and up the brick siding in no distinct pattern, looked transparent until moving across brick siding, where their appearance changed to a bright, solid look. They presently seemed to have stopped.

1 Like

Yes! Since 10 nights ago or so!

These are not bugs. I’ve had my ring doorbells for quite a while & have seen what bugs look like on the lens. These are transparent orbs moving around & just like everyone else, they started appearing around the beginning of March.
https://ring.com/share/6803230687974582674

1 Like

I am almost certain they are tiny spider webs running across the camera. Mine did that too until we removed the spider webs. Of course, they will be right back the next night!

Hey, everyone, I think that is tiny spider webs that go across the camera in the night. We cleaned the area, sprayed AROUND not on the camera, so hopefully the little critters will go away.

How did you clean your camera?

I have this same thing. I first noticed it back in Dec 2019 and it happens on and off. I do have porch lights that are on when I see these orbs. I am in the northeast and it’s in the 20 & 30’s temperature wise. I am suspecting that it may be some kind of insect as the other night I saw an orb with a head & legs on one side of it and it looked like the body part of the insect was the orb. I have to say it is really strange and it seems on the nights that I see them, it goes on for several hours between midnight and 5AM. I might try the insecticide and see if that works.

1 Like

With all the uncertainty in the world I am thinking someone I have lost is protecting me

2 Likes