Orbs floating by doorbell cam

Yes! We have several videos of the orbs. It appears to have started on leap Day February 29th and every day after that.

We cleaned the camera and sprayed pesticide killer around our camera. No more orbs so FAR!!!

1 Like

We had our first orb appear at 1 a.m. last night. Very strange! See it here: https://ring.com/share/6800630201229218704

Is there some type of malfunction going on with the ringers? Do the doorbell ringers need to be recalled?

There’s discussion of this issue elsewhere at the board, remains a mystery for the moment.

I noted a static ghost/orb this evening on mine (wired video doorbell). Location is under porch awning adjacent to door, side-lite window, and under a coach lamp. Coach lamp presently sports an LED bulb. Earlier period of constant floating ghosts corresponded to a fluorescent bulb. Blinding the coach lamp - or simply shielding the doorbell - makes the ghost disappear. Cleaning the camera lens did so too (but failed to eliminate the reddish ghost top center). Curious whether others with this experience have an overhead or otherwise obliquely-shining lamp upon the device. Also noted a couple of expired no-see-ums (midges? who knows!) atop the doorbell… wonder if they are the relics of floating ghosts. Lights & bugs remain the principal suspects.

Static ghost 200306.JPG

Yes and it has been happening with other strange occurrences as well

Hi crazy that is when ours started as well on February 29! There seems to be a common time frame here and we have a video of me trying to see it meanwhile it is above and around me and I see nothing…I am so glad we are not the only ones

Yes, Yes,Yes what r they???

Same. Started recently, even though I’ve had my camera nearly a year. Red orb. Very random patterns. Daytime too, not just night. Must be a glitch since it started happening to other people at roughly the same time, but definitely weird

Hi we also have been having very strange occurrence we cannot explain beside the orbs such as alarm going off with no clue from where and knocking on door and no one there . Thank you for sharing- George

1 Like

We sprayed the doorbell with raid and that night the doorbell went off 5 times and has not gone off since. Whatever it was appears to be gone.

1 Like

was this in westchester by any chance

I am so glad I found this! I had those weird orange orbs floating from under bushes in my back yard flood light ring and I was afraid I had ghosts or aliens. It is the first time 3/9 but it happened about 5 times.

3 Likes

The furthest back I can find the Orb is February 11, 2020. It’s just one each time. If it was a light shining from the street, then it would not be visible when it gets to the shrub or porch column. Never been a “believer” in Orbs but a bit creeped out by this activity and can’t seem to find a logical answer or cure.

Hi neighbors! Thank you for sharing your images and video examples of these concerns. After viewing and bringing them to the attention of our teams here, it looks like these are bugs. Not a technical bug, but an actual insect.

When insects appear on a lens they will often look circular, lacking color and details. They will usually move in a unique or unpredictable pattern, rather than in a straight line. This might happen more often with the weather warming up in some areas, or in entry ways with lights.

1 Like

I disagree. When this started it was late January and February in the Midwest. The temps were around -5F, so I sincerely doubt any insects or bugs would be outside on my doorbell camera.

4 Likes

We had orbs a fee months ago and twice last night around 9:30

Good point @mreed. While cold temperatures are known to deter insects, or force them into hibernation, it does not kill all of them. It is very common for insects to be attracted to lights and other sources of heat.

Our Doorbells can certainly operate a slightly warmer temperature than the cold outdoors. This is especially true if the device is hardwired, or if it is a Doorbell Pro, as the steady flow of power can raise the device temp slightly.

If the orbs seem to be something other than an insect, such as a light glare, please check the environment for any reflective objects. Our support team is always available for further troubleshooting as well. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Insects seem like a logical explanation, but I’ve had my Ring doorbell installed for months so why are the insects just appearing now? And the fact that so many other homes are only just having insects appear at the same time? Seems rather peculiar.

1 Like

It’s bugs… Nothing more…