No notification via Alexa devices

According to the instructions, "when a motion alert is triggered on your Ring device, my Amazon Echo will flash yellow, send an audible chime and announce that someone is at the front door. " This does not happen. I can say, “Alexa show me the front door” and she does (so we’re fully connected) but I never get notified via my Alexa (Echo Show devices) and I have confirmed that notifications and motion detection are enabled in the Alexa app. I do get all notifications through my phone with no issue.

2 Likes

Never mind. We figured out that the Alexa app and the Ring device have to be under the same primary email address. I wish that were in the initial instructions. We’re all set now.

4 Likes

So did you simply change the main user info to the same email as your Alexa account? We are having the exact same problem! So frustrating.

2 Likes

That’s exactly what we did. Now both the Ring account and the Alexa account (email address) are the same and the notification works perfectly.

I had the same issue, read this message, and contacted Customer Support to update my email address on my Ring Doorbell 2 to match that of my Amazon Echo (Alexa) account. However, that did not solve the problem. What DID solve the problem (for me, anyway) was to go into the Alexa app, press the “Devices” pentagon at the bottom right of the Alexa app, go to “All Devices”, choose the name of my Ring Doorbell, and move the slider to “on” for “Doorbell Announcement” > “Doorbell Press”.

2 Likes

Silly as it sounds I had this exact problem for days, once I started looking into it I found my little boy had put the show in do not disturb mode. This mode stops all notifications including ring but will allow you to view the camera, check if you have a crescent moon on the screen or when you say Alexa the bar to show she is listening is purple, if either is true you are in do not disturb mode and need to turn it of. On a show you open the drop down on the show itself then press the purple moon to shut the function off, the press the doorbell and thank me later ?

5 Likes

Thank you for this. We just purchased the Ring Peephole and Echo 3 bundle this month October 2020 and couldn’t figure out why the Echo wasn’t alerting us when the doorbell was pressed (or motion sensed). It turns out that my phone number was not initially registered on my Ring account which caused a similar issue that you had with your email addresses not matching. It seems like Ring and Alexa need a ‘handshake’ with contact information for alerts to work across both devices.

1 Like

I’m having the same issue.

AFAIK the emails are the same on both ring and alexa.

I can ask alexa to show the live view and that works but I don’t get any notifications from either doorbell press or motion on the Echo Show 5.

2 Likes

You do have to turn on notifications individually for each device. Check your device settings in the Alexa app (not Ring) to make sure they are turned on as well.

1 Like

OMG @BillyWhiz - you star. I’ve been getting frustrated that my doorbell wasn’t notifying my bedroom Show 5 and office Show 8. Turns out I just had it unticked on the devices it notifies on!

1 Like

So how did you change the primary email on the Ring?

In the Ring app, click the hamburger menu in the top left corner. Click Account. There you can update the email address. This is also where you can link your Ring account to Amazon (and Alexa).

1 Like

I called support on having this same issue and we fixed it in less than 5 mins.

In the Alexa app, on your mobile device, go to ‘Skills’ under ‘More’ , deactivate the Ring skill, and then reenable it again. Then, the app will go through and detect the Ring devices again. All other settings, routines, etc. stayed the same, upon reenabling the skill, so nothing was lost.

Since I first did this in a web browser, not a mobile device, there was possibly an issue with my mobile app not recognizing the Ring devices.

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing what worked for you, neighbors!

Thanks, after two days of messing about, your solution fixed it. No more missed Amazon deliveries thanks to you.

“In the Alexa app, on your mobile device, go to ‘Skills’ under ‘More’ , deactivate the Ring skill, and then reenable it again. Then, the app will go through and detect the Ring devices again. All other settings, routines, etc. stayed the same, upon reenabling the skill, so nothing was lost.”

1 Like

Is the primary email the person who set everything up? That would be my husbands email and he then linked it to my email as well (but mine is the Amazon account email). Is that our problem?

Yes, that may be the issue. In order for the alerts to come through your Alexa devices, you need to set up Ring with the same account as Amazon. So if you are primary on Amazon, that same email needs to be primary on Ring as well.

I tried the disable and enable as well as confirmed email address and phone number and still no notification when delivery rcvd

1 Like

Same for me. Tried all of the above but still not showing motion or doorbell rings.
Please help.

Hi there, neighbors! The following steps are the best way to get doorbell, person and motion notifications through your Alexa:

• Download the latest Alexa app.
  • Tap the Devices tab at the lower right-hand section of your screen.
  • Tap All Devices .
  • Tap the security camera or doorbell camera you wish to be notified about.
  • Turn on the Doorbell Press (for doorbells) and/or the Motion toggle (for both doorbells and security cameras).

You can select which of your Echo devices make an announcement in the Alexa app, by following the instructions below:

• Download the latest Alexa app.
  • Tap the Devices tab at the lower right-hand section of your screen.
  • Tap All Devices .
  • Tap the security camera or doorbell camera you wish to be notified about.
  • Tap “Announcement devices” and select the Echo device(s) on which you wish to hear announcements.

Please note, each Echo device will need the communication and Announcements setting enabled, and the Do Not Disturb feature turned off. More tips and tricks for this can be found in our Help Center article here. I hope this helps! :slight_smile: