No Ring network appears in my Wifi network during setup

Several weeks ago, I installed a Ring Doorbell Pro, which wasn’t as easy as I was led to believe it would be. I do not ever recall seeing a Ring network within my WiFi network although I see networks for my Arlo cameras, all-in-one printer, etc. Then I installed a new router, identical to the router I used to initially install the Ring Doorbell Pro. I have tried with continued failure to get my Ring Doorbell Pro to connect to the new router. It won’t connect because no Ring network is visible in my WiFi network. I get the spinning white light, pushing the doorbell button creates the blue light and rings my mechanical doorbell, so those functions are working. It is a pretty expensive device not to work, and I cannot return it to BestBuy because of its 10-day return policy on electronic products. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

9 Likes

I’m having the same issue. No Ring network shows up among my Wifi available network list. Please help!

8 Likes

Same here. I set up my ring pro last week for the first time and it has lost wifi connection three times already. The first two times it just started working again. So far that hasn’t happened this third time. Each time I’ve never been able to find the ring network. However, I remember finding it when I first set up my ring pro.

8 Likes

I am having the same issue. A network name pops up when I’m installing via the app but it can’t connect & the network doesn’t show up in my WiFi list

7 Likes

My experience with Ring is very disappointing. A couple of weeks ago, I called the customer service. For at least half an hour, we tried to get my Ring Doorbell Pro up and running again, all to no avail. Finally, the customer service rep told me that I needed to install a new transformer in my door bell and that they would send me one at no cost, which they did. She said that once you install a Ring Pro, you cannot reinstall it. I suspect that is a security measure if that is in fact true. Anyway, she said that installing the new transformer should take care of the problem, but I have my doubts. Now I am waiting for an electrician to come installed it. I could probably install the transformer but it has three wires and my doorbell has only two wires. I suspect the third wire is a ground wire, but I don’t know and I don’t want to cause a problem. It seems to me that Ring should fix the problem that allows only one install without having to go through the process that I’m now having to go through to get it installed a second time. Doesn’t Ring realize that people have to install a new router from time to time and that the installation of a new router causes difficulty in getting an existing Ring Pro installed to the new network? I hope Ring has service reps monitor these messages posted on this community and gets in touch with me. Typical company in terms of service–eager to sell the product, not so eager to service the customer who has difficulty with the product.

6 Likes

Hey neighbors! The Ring setup network, which is used to pair the app and the device during setup, should automatically broadcast from the Ring device to your phone. If this access point does not show in your wifi list, it’s best to start by uninstalling and reinstalling the app, or trying another mobile device if possible. Disabling bluetooth, VPNs, hot spots, and closing 3rd party apps from running the background on your mobile device can also improve the phone’s ability to see this network. For a Doorbell Pro, sufficient power will certainly play a roll in allowing that access point to broadcast.

If anyone is having trouble seeing their own personal wifi network during the final connection stages of the setup, there is an advanced option to “add a hidden network” or manually input your network details.

@zkeith Feel free to keep us updated on your setup results. I’d like to clarify that you may initiate a new setup in your Ring app for any of our devices, if you wish to do so, or if you have a new network to use. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am haaving similar problems. The Ring network has only shown up once or twice during my many attepts to setup. I get a menu asking whether or not I want the device connected to my LAN WiFi network. Regarless of my choice, I only show one network( Not the Ring) When I choose to connect with the only one available (my LAN), it fails to connect. I am beginning to think my WiFi is at fault, but I dont know how to improve the WiFi performance.

1 Like

Ring sent me a new one after I called them. I just installed it. I’m hopeful this will be the end of my problems. Will see.

1 Like

I called CS and was first told to upgrade my transformer. I did that, but I still wasn’t able to connect to the Ring. On my second call, the CS rep immediately set me up with a new Ring, which arrived in about 3 days and set up with no issues whatsoever.

To my previous comments. When trying to connect after Ring network is rejected,I sometimes receive Alerts saying cannot connect to server. Also in red my Backdoor location says “very poor wificonnection”

Is it necessary to push the orange button for every trial setup?

Ihave already mounted the Ringonmy door.

1 Like

I hired an electrician to install the new transformer (cost $70) because I didn’t now where the transformer was (was in the attic). That did not help. Then I was told by a Ring technician to uninstall my Ring app and reinstall it, which I did. Now I am blocked so I cannot even begin to try to connect again. I am very disappointed that I paid so much for a doorbell with a camera that does not work because I cannot connect to my wifi. The doorbell chime works when the doorbell button is pushed. Unfortunately, no image of who is ringing the doorbell is transmitted to my iPhone because the camera isn’t connected to wifi. Had I known about the problems and extra expense I would incur, I would have purchased a different brand of doorbell with camera. Very disappointed in Ring and definitely would not recommend it. Others have responded on this blog that hey had the same problem.

I am sure somebody will come along and tell me I have done something wrong and my doorbell will stop working or the whole world will answer my bell rings or something - BUT - - fed up with repeated attempts to find a Ring entry in my wi-fi lists I gave up and connected every thing (doorbell and 2 chimes) direct to my own wi-fi router as used for all my internet connections - it all works - I have recordings - I have Live view - I have messages from Ring telling me by protection policy is working and active - I can use the ring app on two phones - an i-pad - and my laptop - so do you really need the ‘Ring’ network???

3 Likes

We are getting the same thing. Today the doorbell shows disconnected. Support from Ring is a piece of garbage because there is NONE thru a useful means when u need it. At the time you indicate something didn’t work they should offer “Do you need help?” But that would require 1 Brains 2 Resources. And these are cheap dudes. When the doorbell cannot find the network there’s an issue!! POS!!

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing your experiences, neighbors. If the Ring setup access point does not show in your wifi list during setup, it’s best to start by uninstalling and reinstalling the app, or trying another mobile device if possible. Disabling bluetooth, VPNs, hot spots, and closing 3rd party apps from running the background on your mobile device can also improve the phone’s ability to see this network. For a Doorbell Pro, sufficient power will certainly play a roll in allowing that access point to broadcast.

If anyone is having trouble seeing their own personal wifi network during the final connection stages of the setup, there is an advanced option to “add a hidden network” or manually input your network details.

For a device that is disconnecting after setting up, please check wifi signal strength to ensure there is not wifi interference present. Check out our Community post about RSSI for tips on optimizing this signal strength. If this concern is persisting, Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

1 Like

I have tried to change my WiFi to a different one for over a month now and haven’t succeeded. It’s so frustrating

So I was having the same issue - first off it was too weak a wifi signal so had to buy a wifi extender so the signal was strong enough for the doorbell (my router is at opposite end of the house). Then the dreaded no ring network issue hit once I had put the extender in. What worked for me was tapping the little orange button on the side of the device with the case removed - that prompted a voice to cheerily state Ring was now going into setup mode, and bang on my phone app it pinged up ‘which wifi network do you want to connect to?’, so I chose my now superstrong house wifi and it works now. So, the little orange button on the side is your friend :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is frustrating . Nothing works.

1 Like

Brian59, when you say you connected everything “direct,” do you mean that you somehow used an ethernet cord to connect your doorbell to your router? I’d appreciate your advice, as I’m having the same issue others are having, and it seems you’re the only one who has found a good workaround.

My Pro worked fine for ~3 weeka then lost connection, reconnected just once two days later and lost it again. It was not responding to the side button to entere the setup mode. It was not broadcasting the Ring* network after repeated attempts of hard reset. It stopped functioning as a dumb ringbell either: pressing the button only resulted in some garbled audio from it. The Support requested me to prove that I have a 16V transformer, which I did. They’ve sent a new device. It connected and worked for 1 day, then disconnected and I could not reconnect. It was going blue and ringing the bell, but didn’t show the Ring* network in setup mode. After a few attempts, it stopped even ringining the bell: it just plays the music tone, and it no longer goes into the setup mode at all.
It’s either a quality problem or some kind of security feature, which shuts its access down after some failed attempts, but the Ring support has no idea.
I’ve spent $250 for a device that doesn’t even rings the bell …

same issue here. Set up at first just fine, then a week later disconnected and won’t set up again. Says its in set up mode, but no ring wifi will broadcast. Very frustrating