Night vision not working

None of this works. For some reason the update made the infrared more sensitive. My camera was mounted next to the brick and it was reflecting off from it. The only fix I found was to turn the camera on an angle so it doesn’t bounce off anything

If the InfraRed (IR) illuminator LEDs emit their IR light and it reflects off something stationary and close by, its effectiveness and range are greatly reduced.
This affects all night vision cameras that use IR night vision, not just Ring.
See attached sample image.

If the leftmost doorbell IR LED can be turned off, I think night vision would be better in the above case.

The alternative is to use 3rd party IR illuminators to light up the dark areas.

I’m on Ring Pro firmware v2.1.01005 (as of 1/9/2020)

I think that is what I said. Why it quit working after the update I don’t know because it worked fine for months.

1 Like

I’ve found that putting black electrical tape over the ‘Red’ Leds helps my night vision work better ??? Now the face of people are not washed out like a ghost. I would have never bought this POJ if I knew it was going to be a science project to get it to work half-way correct SMH

2 Likes

Ok. So how do you adjust or turn off the left most IR LED? I don’t see anywhere in the app that option.

Good evening all!

So the latest update for me. As I said previously, I’ve been emailing with Rose a represenative with Ring at help@ring.com. She sent me out a corner kit free of charge. The corner kit comes with 3 wedge pieces. You can use 1, 2, or all 3 pieces depending on how much you need/want to angle your videodoorbell. I wanted to angle my doorbell just enough to get the red brick out of my picture. I needed to use 2 wedge pieces to accomplish this task. After reconnecting my doorbell I noticed in the video I was able to view more of my yard than in the previous video when the doorbell was facing straight forward. Even though the wedge pieces angled the device they also push the device out and away from the wall there by allowing the wider view. This is definitely a plus. Also, I must say I’ve had no problems with the night vision since installing the corner kit. I guess Rose is correct in telling me the red brick somehow interferes with the infrared function of the device. I’m still pondering why the doorbell worked fine for 5 months then just took a crap on me? One negative- it seems to me the picture/video is not quite as crisp/clear as it was when the lens was aimed straight forward. I’m also not particularly happy with the device going offline as much as it does but that has been an issue ever since I installed it. Not sure if I said this in a previous post but I did put a wifi extender in the house and that helped a lot. That’s my story!

1 Like

I have the the same issue…after 3 years, suddenly night vision doesn’t work. I do believe that it has something to do with the firmware/software. My ring is wired, so battery power isn’t an issue…and because it worked for years, I don’t think power is the issue, nor should the “brick”…and since I don’t have any Brick around my door, just siding, that is a non-issue. I am going to reach out to Customer Svc tonight, as I am tired of this not working (for about 3 months now) at night.

3 Likes

My night vision worked perfectly. Now it doesn’t work at all.

1 Like

I just installed mine today with this issue. I have brick next to mine. I however believe that it’s just a reflection issue. I think that the light the doorbell omits off from hitting what’s next to the doorbell signals the unit telling it that it has enough light. Just like it would if it were daylight(daylight=infrared off). In turn it turns off the infrared when in actuality it is needed. I have tried the black tape over the infrared and it works . However I’m going to build out my doorbell past my brick so the unit can work like it is intended to. A corner kit won’t work for me in this case.

Definitely need to angle it away from the wall. It will look much better than that.

Hi,
I’ve had my ring doorbell installed for almost a year and it worked fine until just a few weeks ago. I called tech support and they walked me through resetting the device. It still didn’t work so they are sending me a new one.
I do not know why all of a sudden the night vision just stopped working.
Thanks for replying.
Denise

1 Like

Hey all! Since I installed the corner kit the device is working much better in the dark hours. The device is hard wired so the battery is not an issue. It still seems to drop offline more than I would like overnight. Nothing new to really update. Thanks everyone.

1 Like

https://community.ring.com/t5/Security-Cams/Spotlight-Cam-Battery-not-charging-with-solar-panel/m-p/20946#M4259

Finding this forum after being on another on Ring.com for solar panels no longer charging. It seems solar panel issue happened around the same time these night vision issues started. Anyone experiencing solar panel issue should check out the thread posted in this link. I am having both issues - both with battery operated spotlight cameras.

1 Like

Same here! Been working fine for a year. Suddenly 3 nights ago, no night vision. Tried resetting, reloading so, disconnected power. Nothing works. Still no night vision. C’mon ring! That’s when we need it most!

This answere is b.s. There are so many in this thread! Most have worked for a long time fine and now all of a Sudden we all have a black screen at night because something soaking up the night vision or low power, etc… ? C’mon, these ring things are a good idea but nothing but problems. They are more interested in selling more add ons and new items than fixing what they sold! Very dissatisfied.

1 Like

Agreed. There is a problem on their end.

1 Like

I had the same problem I found out that the light across the street was causing the infrared not turn on, watch the video all you have to do is buy is little piece of window film and seems to work like charm https://youtu.be/u_UR8it5rQo

Still no update?? This is very frustrating. I had been very satisfied with my cameras up until now, and I have had them for years. But to have half of my cameras suddenly stop working at night is unacceptable. Please fix this Ring before I have to find another solution for my home security.

Exact same with me! I’ve noticed for a long time now I’m not seeing any motion after dark. The deer were at my door in the night and ate all my plants and no video

Fully agree. I’m in UK, had a RVD for 3 yrs, lots of wide spread tech problems, receive emails reularly regarding system faults. The RVD are a good idea, but Ring tech is terrible.