New install: Ring video doorbell 2nd gen (2020)

Just realized I posted to Ring 2 topic, so I’ll just start my a new thread. ;^)

I installed a Ring 2nd generation (2020) with the wired connection to old door bell. My doorbell transformer in at 19.8V (within the 8-24VAC spec on the device) but the old mechanical chime does not ring anymore when using the Ring’s button. I removed the Ring and shorted the wires and it old mechnical doorbell still works fine.

All the info I’ve found on the web says you need to set the “Door bell type” to “mechanical” in General Settings… but app my software does not have the option. Ideas?

I was expecting an ‘upgrade’ of the door bell switch with a cool camera. but if my tired-and-true mechanical doorbell does not to work after Ring installation… that, IMO, is just unaccpetable. If so, then back it goes to Amazon. (sigh)

Hi @ronstory. You’ll want to make sure that the chime kit you have in your house is compatible with the Video Doorbell, as it will not work properly if it’s not. You can review our chime kit compatibility list here, so you can cross-check it with the chime kit you have in your home. If it is on the compatible list, then I’d suggest reaching out to our support team directly so they can take a closer look at this for you. Our support team can be reached at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

Let’s not play the compatiblity game, it’s annoying. I have classic doorbell that has been there for since 1998 with an AC transformer well before that, and it would be great if Ring would supply a spec for what the doorbell should do. The 8-24VAC is bit underwhelming from a spec standpoint.

So I ended up digging thought the 400+ post thread last night on door bell chime not working and around page 11 of 17 pages I found the information I needed.

The setup for this device with the videos just skips too many possible scenarios. Like should you connect it up with the wired option before or after setup? If the app asked the question before you started setup, you could catch all the poorly connected wiring (and battery not charging) and then ask if you wanted the original chime to work inside the house. Those questions were part of the separate chime setup under general settings… but it just needed to be included in the setup flow.

Instead there seems to be a rush to get the device on the web in a connected state but not fully configured state and show the eye-candy of a video.

Have the app ask more question on the configuration of installation upfront would make everyone life better, and fewer surprises. I’m surprised this app get 3.8 stars on Google Play. It’s a 2 star at best but it’s completely fixable. Just just need to take the time for Ring to ask better installation questions regarding the current configuration and the desire outcome.

So far, I’ve spent almost 3 hours getting this thing to work, and that was completely avoidable if the Ring installation handle more of real end-user configs… versus the “rush to get a cool video”.

Thanks,

Ron