New Ring Doorbell Failing on Chime Connection step

Hi I just got a new Ring Doorbell version 2 I believe from Amazon on Prime day. I have it installed and wired into an existing doorbell. When I connect to it I can get a video feed and it shows that the battery is charging.

But it tells me that I still need to finishe setup becasue I can’t get the Chime Connection step to pass. It says checking power and the just says unexpected error. I’m not sure what this is even for? Is it something I don’t need to worry about and just ignore no matter how annyoing it is? Thanks!

Mike

I have this issue also. My mechanical doorbell is listed on the Ring Doorbell Mechanical chime Compatibilty list, I have verified that the voltage is correct, and the chime rings when I short the wires at the doorbell. Still, the Chime Connection step fails in setup.

Any help?

I am having similar issue with hardwired Ring 2 doorbell. At first I could not get mechanical chime to work but then realized you have to go to setup and select mechanical chime. However I still cant get it to pass set up with message saying something went wrong. Otherwise everything seems to be working.

Hey neighbors! If you uninstall the Ring App, restart your phone to clear the cache, and reinstall the Ring App, it should clear up this incomplete setup for you. Let me know if that does the trick! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I had the same issue. I got my 2nd gen ring yesterday went through the setup and my chime didn’t work. Checked voltages and all looked good. I have a mechanical chime with a transformer as most homes do. Connected the old door bell and verified everything is working.

Here’s what I did and it’s working now.
In the ring app go to you ring door bell -> device settings-> in-home chime settings -> advanced settings and continue with the setup.

It worked once I was done. However the app still shows my setup is in complete… I’m pretty upset at ring that couldn’t help with this fix.

2 Likes

Hi Caitlyn,

I deleted my IOS 14 Ring App, reset my phone, reinstalled the app, and I still cannot complete the chime setup on my Ring 2nd generation. It still fails Checking your doorbell System…

The Health report say Doorbell has a clean bill of health. The only anomily is the power level is undefined, what ever that means.

Regards,

David

I have the same problem with my new Ring 3 - everything seems to works fine and I think my voltage is ok (12v) but unable to complete the Chime Connection step as the app bombs with “Something went wrong!”

I have the same problem with my new VDB3 installed yesterday.

Everything else shows as OK, running 24v ac to the doorbell and with no wired chimes.

I do have a chime pro, but installing the VDB3 either with or without it makes no difference.

I may try a battery only install and the readd the 24v ac.

I run into the exact same issue when installing Doorbell 3. By going to Device Settings>In-home Chime Settings>Advanced Settings (manual config) I can select Mechanical >Ring my In-home Chime, and it all works fine, but the app keeps showing Tap here to complete your device setup. The automatic chime setup always fails. The Ring Doorbell is connected to a mechanical chime with 12V transformer build in.

It seems several users run into this issue. Has anyone found a solution?

This also worked for me. Thank you for finding the little hidden setting.

Serkovich86

New Neighbor

‎10-16-2020 04:08 PM

Re: New Ring Doorbell Failing on Chime Connection step

I had the same issue. I got my 2nd gen ring yesterday went through the setup and my chime didn’t work. Checked voltages and all looked good. I have a mechanical chime with a transformer as most homes do. Connected the old door bell and verified everything is working.

Here’s what I did and it’s working now.
In the ring app go to you ring door bell -> device settings-> in-home chime settings -> advanced settings and continue with the setup.

It worked once I was done. However the app still shows my setup is in complete… I’m pretty upset at ring that couldn’t help with this fix.

I didn’t see Caitlyn’s reply before, now I can confirm than clearing the cache, uninstalling the app, restart my phone, then reinstall the app fixed the issue for me. Thanks!

1 Like

Did the trick for me.
I uninstalled the app, cleared safari cache, reset the phone and installed the App.
It shows the setup is now completed!
Thank you.

1 Like

I had the same issue after replacing my old first generation doorbell with the new model - setup would fail with the generic “Something went wrong.” message and the mechanical chime would not trigger.

Reinstalling the app worked to clear setup, but I still had a non-functioning chime. Fortunately, I was able to dig into the advanced setup and configure the mechanical chime directly, and now I have a functioning setup again. (This is mentioned in another reply here) Hopefully everything continues to work… I also was getting some weird battery life readings for the first day after installing the device.

1 Like

Add me to the (growing) list experiencing this exact same problem on my Samsung S9 phone.

Like others I worked around issue using previously identified manual steps ; Device Settings > In-home Chime Settings > Advanced Settings > Chime Type = Mechanical & Complete. This got full system up and working and my old chime working, but left the annoying ‘incomplete setup’ issues. I then confirmed this was an app specific issue on my phone by going to my Samsung tablet where I also had this installed and noticed that all setups items were complete with no ‘complete the setup’ issues or reminders. So back on phone cleared Cache and Data before uninstalling the Ring App and then re-installing (no phone restart needed). Once logged in again the setup was complete and no further.

Very happy to have this resolved but not sure why this happened and why ring hasn’t done something about it? Not impressed with Ring for issue or lack of response (this thread or elswhere in support or App Help), but very impressed with the Community, so Thank you all.

1 Like

+1 to @Caitlyn_Ring for the fix. Worked like a charm for me. Thanks.

1 Like

Nothing had worked for me at all. I have a ring doorbell and chime ring so they should connect but are not.

I’ve done everything you have all posted. Any ideas what next?

Hey @Jaggy. If the previous solutions suggested in this thread did not resolve your concern, the next best step would be to contact our support team directly. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

Had the same annoying problem on iPhone - and this suggestion fixed it (ie, simply clearing safari cache and data, uninstalling the Ring app and reinstalling the Ring app - no phone reset required). Took me 3 minutes … no idea why I had the problem in the first place, quite annoying from Ring that they seem uninterested in fixing …

I am having the same issue with the Chime failing. They sent out a new doorbell, and it fails with the error message for the Chime. My internal Chime does not work, but you can hear the Ring chime outside when you press the button. I am so frustrated with Ring support. If this is a common Ring problem, they need to fix it.