Need help with poor battery life on my Ring 2 :(

Greetings, I hope someone can help to advise me on this. The battery on my Ring 2 video doorbell lasts barely 7-9 days before it needs to be recharged. It is entirely battery powered.

I have done the following and nothing seems to have helped

• Purchased a second battery - I swap batteries every 7-9 days :frowning:
  • Purchased and installed the Ring Solar Charger
  • Turned off Motion Detection
  • Turned off Motion Notifications

I have also tried removing, resetting and then re-adding the doorbell into my account - with no difference in results.

The Signal Strength to my Wifi network is at RSSI-60 which I understand is not considered poor.

I live in Singapore and the temperature is almost always between 28-34 degree Celsius. So I do not believe it has anything to do with cold weather.

What’s most disturbing is that I get no notification whether on my phone or via email when battery is low and runs out. So I have to resort to setting a Reminder on my phone to swap out my Ring 2 battery every week.

This whole experience has been most frustrating for me so I will be grateful for any help :frowning:

I also wanted to add that the doorbell gets used at most once a week.

I have also tried calling the support number for Singapore listed here https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/213608406 but I get “Call failed” every time so the number doesn’t seem to be valid? But when I post this in a “Chat Now” window I get an automated response to either go back to Neighbour Support or use this Community page. :grumpycat:

So here I am hoping anyone can help.

Hi @sandman2020. The reason for your quick battery drain may actually be related to you network. There may be too many devices using the same port on your router, causing excessive wifi noise. This information here will go over how to change your ports and protocols and perhaps fix your battery dying quickly! I hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply and pointing me in this direction. Alas I am really not sure how to check or what to do about “excessive wifi noise”.

But I have just setup port forwarding to my Ring for the ports listed in the support article, and swapped out my batteries. Will update here in about a week whether it’s helped with the battery life!

1 Like

Hi @sandman2020. That’s perfect! Wifi noise is often fixing by changing ports. It can be caused by other wireless devices in the area. So, for example, if you have a baby monitor by your Ring Device, move it to another location to minimize the wifi noise.

I found that my old battery was extremely swollen and needs to be replaced…

Hi @rkeller7. For any replacement concerns like what you’re describing, I’d recommend reaching out to our support team directly. You can give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. :slight_smile:

Thanks @Tom_Ring and @Caitlyn_Ring

Unfortunately after 7 days my battery is now down to 20% despite the doorbell being pressed only twice in this time, so the solution regarding port forwarding doesn’t seem to have worked.

I will be grateful for any other advice.

Also, I would like to point out that the support number listed for Singapore does not work.

Thank you