Motion detection not working in selected zones

@GinaK80 wrote:
Thank you.
I’m not sure of the model but it’s on battery power. Would it work any differently if it were wired up?
I’m going to try all of your suggestions.

Hello @GinaK80 ,

Ring Video Doorbells are all battery-powered, except the Ring Video Doorbell Pro (the ‘Pro’ _runs off _ external power and you therefore do not have this model). You can attach your Doorbell to the house doorbell-wire’s, which then “trickle-charges” to replenish the battery, but the doorbell is still running off the battery. The wires can not alone power the doorbell. The reason I gave you all this information is because to better answer your question,

_ “Would it {motion detection} work any differently if it {doorbell} were wired up?”_

And the answer is basically ‘No’, the motion detection features remain the same. But now if you select settings that can deplete the battery faster, you don’t have to worry about frequent battery recharges (for example: you select “Motion Frequency” to the Frequent setting, or select the shortest “Snapshot” interval time setting).

Now as a side note, ‘Motion-detection’ is different for Ring Security Cameras models, for example such as the Stick-Up Cam Plug-in and the Stick-Up Cam Battery , which leave the factory as the exact same device. With the Stick-up Cam, you have a choose the power-source, with a Battery (Solar version is battery-powered with solar trickle-charging) or External A/C cord and input that during the initial camera setup. Then the answer would be Yes “motion-detection” is different. Because during the setup (when you choose battery or external power) different firmware software updates will download algorithms for computing ‘high-energy-depleting’ motion-detection options, if you choose A/C power. And these options will not be downloaded/available when you choose to be powered by battery. This is to extend battery-life.

More information about Ring devices and how they work can be found online at:

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us

I hope you find this information useful :slight_smile: