Motion Sensor

I’ve had my ring video doorbell for about a week now and so far I am NOT impressed with it. I have my motion sensor set to standard. It only captures if you go by the camera and not when someone is on the lawn yet the parameter is out to the edge of my lawn. Also, the video is only 20 seconds long. It should be hardwired but is only sensing it’s running off of battery power. I’m beyond frustrated. If it continues to operate in such manner, I’m going to put back my original doorbell and toss this useless thing out.

Hi @Deltabreeze! Ring has implemented a feature in your Video Recordings called “Motion Stop”. This feature automatically stops the recording after a Ring device starts detecting motion. The devices stop after 20 seconds for battery-operated devices even if physically installed as hardwired, and 60 seconds for hardwired devices without a battery option. This saves on battery life and data charges. Motion frequency can also help with detecting consistent motion. For best steps, check out our help center article about how motion frequency works.

As far as the recording length, as long as motion is continuous, battery powered devices will record for 30 seconds by default. You can certainly alter this recording length, but not for longer than 30 seconds. Check out this help center article for more info on recording length.

As it seems like you are experiencing a few concerns with your Doorbell, the best next step if the above does not assist, is to reach out to our support team. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.