Motion Sensitivity Inconsistent

I’m having troubles with the motion sensitivity on my Pro 2 doorbell. The problem is that I’m getting notification with street traffic (over 20 ft away), but people walking up the sidewalk are not tripping the notification until maybe 5 ft away.

Hey @asggeek! Do you have the Video Doorbell Pro or the Video Doorbell 2? If it is a Pro try drawing multiple zones and trying different sensitivity options. If it is a Video Doorbell 2 check out this Community article about motion detection, for tips on optimizing motion. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

I have the 2 (not Pro). It still does not make sense…that an object (person walking up the sidewalk) does not trip/start videoing until they are 2 ft in front of camera AND a car/truck driving by (over 20ft way) can trip the sensor. --Very confused

I had the wedge installed, but it was even worse (no person tripping it).

Thank you for confirming @asggeek! In addition to sensitivity and zone settings, it may also help to test out different Motion Frequency settings as certain motions might be missed if your Motion Frequency is set to preserve battery.

Being that you are already using a wedge kit, it should certainly be avoiding the street traffic. Keep in mind that you can use up to 3 wedge pieces stacked for more of an angle if needed. As every environment is different, motion can take a little trial and error to obtain optimal detection.

@asggeek wrote:

I have the 2 (not Pro). It still does not make sense…that an object (person walking up the sidewalk) does not trip/start videoing until they are 2 ft in front of camera AND a car/truck driving by (over 20ft way) can trip the sensor. --Very confused

I had the wedge installed, but it was even worse (no person tripping it).

I’m having a similar problem, but my doorbell is at the top of about 7 stairs. I was told to uninstall multiple wedges. If your 2 is high up, you might need to do the same. Alternately you may have to turn the sensitivity way down. That’s what I’ve done for now, though the motion detection still seems hit or miss.

1 Like

I have the video doorbell pro and have this issue as well. It seems to me like it started after the update to the motion detection engine. I’ve tried deleting and adding new motion zones as well as all the different sensitivity options but motion detection is still inconsistent. As the above poster stated, it will detect motion 20ft away most of the time but regularly misses someone walking right up to the door.

It seems from all the issues people are having with motion and sensitivity, that these front door cameras are really not appropriate for houses whose front doors face directly toward the street, and which have constant vehicle traffic. They most likely work better for those houses which have the front door to the side of the house and not facing traffic and therefore only meant to capture pedestrians who come up right to the door to knock.

I don’t think you fully read/understood the issue I’m reporting. The issue is that the camera can pick up motion from a great distance (traffic), but cannot pickup motion closer (person walking up sidewalk between street & house). This issue would not be resolved by just moving the camera away from street traffic. Sorry, I’m not following your logic.

Correct, the issue is the Ring doorbell doesn’t pick up movement directly in front of it but does pick up movement that’s 20 feet away. It worked perfectly until an update a couple months ago. I use to recommend Ring to everyone that asked me about video doorbells but unfortunately now, I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone. I’d be happy if it went back to working like it used to.

On the doorbell 2 the slider to adjust motion sensitiviy includes both vehicles and pedestrian traffic and the vehicle option extends further. There needs to be a way to adjust those 2 values independantly. So in my case where my front door is about 8 steps up but facing the street, I would turn down the vehicle detection sensitivity and turn up the pedestrian sensitivity. The way it is now If you turn down the sensitivity, it doesn’t detect the person until they are right in front your but on the other hand if you turn up the sensitivity all the way, it will work fine but now you will also be detecting every single vehicle that goes up and down the street and not just pedestrians.

Edit:

On my spotlight cam and indoor cam, it will detect any movement or you can set it to only detect a person.

I have the same problem with a Ring Pro: it easily detects traffic, about 30 feet away; a swaying palm tree, about 20 feet away; but inconsistently picks up visitors walking up to the door. When it picks up visitors, there is a 3-4 second delay before it chimes.

My Ring is up over the door, on three wedges. I’ve adjusted the zones to about 80% and it no longer picks up traffic and only rarely picks up the tree. The inconsistency in picking up close visitors seems to have occured AFTER I made these adjustments. I picked the 80% mark after trial and error over several nights of being awakened severa times. If I moved the sensitivity higher, I’ll be picking up the swaying fronds at 2am.

1 Like

Same problem with the spotlight battery cam. I get hundreds of videos of every car passing by but I can walk outside, load up my car and drive away directly in front of the cam and no video. Seems to miss the point of a security camera if it wont pick up a large human at the car driving away with it.