Massive Battery Life Difference - Video Doorbell 3 vs. Stick Up Cam

Hi,

Just bought a video doorbell 3 plus 3x stick up cams. Love the system however I have noticed a massive difference in battery life between the stick up cam and video doorbell 3. Have researched and tried everything, but still have the problem.

Video Doorbell 3 battery lasts ~14 days with ~ 90 events

Stick Up Cam battery lasts ~ 45 days with ~ 400-500 events

All devices have good Wifi connect (in fact the doorbell has the best), Only 2 motions zones set, Sensitivity is set to mid range, motion verification on, motion frequency is standard, motion schedule on active during the evenings only. Have tired different batteries, still the same problem.Would expect the same battery drain between the devices as I assume it uses the same technology

Can anyone explain why there is such a big difference in battery life?

Any help/recommendations welcome, thanks.

Hey @MartinT. Thank you for providing all of those details on what you’re experiencing. The Doorbell’s battery shouldn’t be draining that quickly, but there are a few different things to keep in mind which can impact the battery life. In addition to standard motion events, streaming the Live View can drain the battery more quickly as well. Please review this Community post on how to extend battery life here.

If you’ve checked everything from the Community post, then you may want to fully charge the battery and then perform a reset. To reset the Doorbell, please hold down the setup button for 30 seconds. Once that’s done, you’ll want to walk through a new setup in the Ring App by following the steps under Set Up a Device. From there, monitor the battery life and let us know how that works for you. :slight_smile:

Hi Caitlyn, Thanks for the advice. Tried resetting the device and this had no effect. Battery empty in 6 days - Wifi signal strong, temperature is >15oC, logged only 35 events and I never used live view feature. I then recharged and deactivated the “live view” feature and everything seems good now. 3 days have passed and battery is 99% :slight_smile:

So I think something is wrong with the Live View feature even though I never use it. On the 3x stick up cams I have Live View activated and used - battery lasts ~2 months.

I noticed when I first got the doorbell, Live view would not work all the time (connection erro) while the stick up cams had no problems. So maybe a bug/hardware issue with live view feature on the Video Doorbell 3?

@MartinT Thanks for trying those steps and letting me know what happened for you. In this case, I would recommend reaching out to our support team at one of the numbers availablehere. They’ll be able to take a closer look as to why the battery is draining more quickly when Live View is enabled, even if you re not utilizing the Live View. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19here to see how to contact support. If you contact support, feel free to report back on what they suggest as it may help others with a similar concern! :slight_smile: