Live View will work -- 60 seconds late -- stuck on Activating Device

My Ring Doorbell 3 experiences a FATAL FLAW in the product design and sofware implementation. DO NOT LET THEM TELL YOU IT’S A WIFI CONNECTION ISSUE.

HERE IS THE PROBLEM:

• When the Ring Doorbell 3 detects a motion or someone is ringing the bell, those events take priority of recording and processing.

• It is the processing of the current live event that BLOCKS you from ACTIVATING LIVE VIEW.

• I can go into the app 100 times and activate live view in less that 3-5 seconds usually. However, the very moment there is “MOTION DETECTED” or “THERE IS A PERSON AT YOUR DOOR” …forget it. The Ring Doorbell 3 product becomes USELESS. The product becomes more interested in recording and processing the event instead of letting YOU DECIDE if it’s more important to VIEW the live event for obvious security reasons.

The reason I am SO UPSET over it is because they continue to mislead people with their ridiculous claims that there is a wifi issue when people complain that they are staring at a “ACTIVATING DEVICE” screen in the app.

I’m also upset because I purchased a device which was marketed not only as allowing me to view HISTORICAL events but to view LIVE EVENTS. This is truly a known issue which RING is failing to disclose.

And NO… using the RAPID RING app does not speed things up. It appears that it is the HARDWARE with the limitation and not the SOFTWARE. Apparently the HARDWARE (the doorbell itself) can only do ONE THING at a time - either RECORDING and PROCESSING the event, OR relinquishing control to the homeowner to VIEW the LIVE EVENT.

The product absolutely, unequivically is incapable of LIVE VIEW at the same time of a MOTION EVENT. I have tested this use case 100 times and it is just not true that the product can do both at the same time.

IN fact, I would guess the RAPID RING app was created not to solve the issue, but hopefully to shorten the block-out time so customers don’t complain. They probably figure that most of the events will be viewed after the fact. BUT WHAT ABOUT A MOTION EVENT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT? I HAVE TO WAIT 35-45 SECONDS UNTIL THE DUMB PRODUCT FINISHES PROCESSING THE EVENT?

SOLUTION: For the geniuses at RING, here’s a solution. Provide an OPTION in the software settings that allows the USER REQUEST FOR LIVE VIEW to be of the highest priority.

You can add a disclaimer that “Requesting LIVE VIEW during a motion event will end the recording of the motion event and you will not have the full 20 second history of the event”

How about that? Because that’s really the issue isn’t it? You are trying to finish up the recording of the 20 second motion event and thus BLOCKING the REQUEST for LIVE VIEW.

It’s 100 pct. true what you are doing and you KNOW this.

2 Likes