Lens flare from doorbell camera

Lens flare in middle of video. It is there both day and night.

Hey @hartav. Could you show us a picture of what this lens flare looks like at night? It looks like it is happening because of exposure to the sun since it is in a dark walk way area with lots of light outside in the background. Because of this, the foreground is well lit as you can see, but leaves the background overexposed and giving you this lens flare.

Here is a night video still frame from my ring doorbell. A center light is seen… Is this flare or a defect in the lens?

thank you,

Aethan

@hartav Thanks for getting back to me with that! It seems like something is reflecting back into the lens, and you only see this at night, correct? Since the Doorbell’s IR light is reflecting off of the side of the brick wall to the right, it’s possible this hard reflection is now going into the center of the device. I would recommend installing a corner kit so that it can point more to the left to see if you can eliminate this. In addition, you can always have this double checked with our support team, but they may recommend the same!

For support to look more into this, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19. This has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. Let me know what they say, or if the corner kit helps this vision at night! :slight_smile:

The flare occurs in daylight as seen in the daylight picture I sent earlier. I sent the night picture in response to the request for a night picture.

I’ll try the corner kit. Is there a charge for it? More importantly, what is it.

Thank you,

Aethan

@hartav You’re right, my apologises! I almost forgot about that, but you’re right, the Corner Kit may help, and it will be at a small cost. I recommend getting it from Ring.com or Amazon, as we offer a 30 day return policy. You can find the Corner Kit for the Ring Video Doorbell 1st Generation here. If you find it to not be beneficial or alleviate this concern, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19. This has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. Let me know how this goes! :slight_smile:

I am all of the sudden getting lens flares at night ring doorbell has been up for three months and in the last two days it’s clicking and flashing at night. What changed and how can I fix?

Hi @Dsiuliano. Would you be able to share a screenshot of your Doorbell’s Live View from at night? If there is a wall or another reflective surface in the Doorbell’s view, it’s possible that the lights are reflecting off of it causing this lens flare. If so, you may want to look into a Corner Kit, as Chelsea had mentioned in a previous reply, as it will allow you to angle your Doorbell’s view away from any walls or reflective surfaces.

Here is the photo

Hi @Dsiuliano. If you are still having this concern, I would recommend reaching out to our support team. That information can be found above, in the post from Chelsea. I hope the support team is able to get this corrected for you.

I’ve been getting the same thing for the past several week. At night, it cycles every few seconds. Bulbs haven’t been changed in the porch or post lights and they aren’t changing, visibly.

Normal (No flare)

Flared