Lens cloudy

Has ring seriously not replied to this forum post? I too have lense haze on my front doorbell camera (Pro version). I have 2 of these cameras and 3 chimes. I’m stunned that a company producing products for outdoor use wouldn’t think to UV treat the plastics covering the lense.

I have 4 FLIR cameras surrounding my house for the past 6 years and they are as good as new. One is located above the doorbell and has not seen any decay whatsoever.

Please, Ring. Do the right thing. In an era of environmental sustainability, more junkyard electronics are not what the world needs. Make your customers whole by either repairing or replacing these UV decayed lenses that are becoming useless. Fix your product design. Be a steward of the environment.

As of now, if I receive no response from Ring, there will be 5 of their products laying in the local dump, waiting to decompose over the next 1,000 years…

Shameful.

4 Likes

Hi there, neighbors! Our outdoor devices are rated for weather resistance. That being said, we advise avoiding any direct torrential or submerging water and extreme climate conditions. There are times when environmental factors such as temperature or moisture can impact an outdoor device. For a lens with water or condensation, we have seen other neighbors report success with using a solution like Rainx. Other solutions may be different brands of anti-fog, DIY covers, or even a different mounting location.Bringing your Ring device inside is also a great step to take.

If this concern persists, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support. Feel free to also check out our warranty page, and this help center article about our Protect Plus features for coverage information.

1 Like

Moisture? Ha! I live in Calgary. The average humidity here year round is less than 20%. We basically live in a cold desert. The clouding of my lense Is 100% due to Ring not UV treating the plastic lense cover and nothing else.

Improve your product. As per other posts here, I’m not interested in replacing a perfectly good camera at a 35% discount only to have it decay in time and require another replacement in a few years.

Again, IMPROVE YOUR PRODUCT.

5 Likes

I think I have the same problem. All of a sudden the lens looks cloudy, I took it down dried it up, reset it and still the same thing - cloudy.

3 Likes

I am also having this problem! Ring should remedy this problem.

2 Likes

I have been looking for a solution to this issue for months. searching up and down the internet and on youtube. with no results until now. Thank you for posting

My solution was to bite the bullet and replace it with a Hello. Better video doorbell all round. Sorry Ring your customer support and solutions suck, buy more Ring products with a way too little discount…how about 75%. Then you might have my attentionbecause I already bought a Ring product that fell short of expectation given the $200+ I spent for it.

I moved my blurry Ring to my driveway as a motion detector so I know somebody is out there, otherwise it’s a useless POS.

1 Like

My ring pro view became cloudy after two years. The camera lens is fine, the problem is the external plastic face in front of the camera which does not seem to have UV protection so it become crazed and opaque.

My solution was to carefully use a small drill and drill a circular hole about about 1/2 inch diameter. Note I was carefull not drill deepeter that 1/8 inch in order not to damage the camera lens. I then glue a 1 inch by 1 inch piece of transparent uv plastic to cover the hole.

The view now is perfect.

2 Likes

Hi there, is nothing to do with moisture-is the quality of the plastic and also the rubber of the bottom-after 3 1/2 years is a piece of garbage! It happened to my device! The only available option is to get a 35% discount to buy a new device.!

3 Likes

Same issue … have had my Pro since 2019 and now it is useless. Why buy another, only to be right back here in a few years. Moving on to a better quality product.

1 Like

Yes I’m having the same issue I tried to clean and it got worse I need the clear plastic to replace and I’ll be OK., but I guess by reading here I’m screwed.

2 Likes

Mine did the same thing. I really like my ring doorbell, but I will not spend the money to replace my pro. I hope we can be provided with replacement

glass to resolve this issue.

1 Like

Same problem here, lens was getting a bit cloudy so i used the same cleaner i use on my reading glasses and a qTip. This is the results. Its worse now that it was before.

1 Like

I also have the hazy lens cover after a year and a half
called ring support, they acting like this first time they ever heard of this problem

spoke to supervisor and was told out of warrant so no replacement told him this was a manfaturer defect and he said nothing he can do so i will be throwing this ring in trash and cancal account no sense in getting another one just to replace in 18 months
i will also be advise anyone who asks not to get a ring and will be changing all my reviews to 1 star

2 Likes

I have the ring flood light cam and it is doing the same thing. It was clear as a bell a month ago and got cloudy very quickly. We attempted to clean it with windex and a lens cloth and it did not help at all.

1 Like

I’m going to try that with a flood light cam. Thanks for the tip!

Hi all, I had a similar problem with my Ring Doorbell. The lens became cloudy - but this was actually my fault. I had left the protective film on for a long time (I was out of the country for 3 year), and it eventually needed to be scraped off. This left some residue that I tried removing with with a magic eraser. It resulted in a clean lens, but the micro-abrasions made the screen cloudy.
Then I remembered a trick that that I saw a plastics fabricator do - in order to make the cut edge of his plastics look crystal clear again, he focused a fine point propane torch on the surface, VERY quickly so not to burn the plastic, but just to re-melt the surface and have it appear clear again.
I tried this on mine using a small butane-type torch from Home Depot, and it actually worked very well. I would say it looks about 95% improved. Not perfect, but not much more clear.
I would not suggest to try this on a unit that is still functional with visibility, or on a unit that is covered under warranty, but certainly try it on a unit that you are giving up on. No harm in trying.
The flame should not touch the plastic, and you should move it side to side quickly to not point heat an area on the lens cover. Overall, it should not be done for more than a couple seconds. Try short first, and see if it improves. Good luck on those units that you are considering discarding.

1 Like

I have had the same issues and the same response from Ring support. I would suggest trying WYZE.
their products are much less expensive and very good.

2 Likes