Installing a Video Doorbell on a steel sheathed Door

My exterior doors are all Steel Sheathed filled with wood and foam. Will a video doorbell work if mounted on the exterior steel surface?

Hi @PocketGopher. It’s possible it may work, but you’ll need to ensure you have a strong connection from your router or a nearby wifi access point. You may also need to get a Chime Pro to help with the interference you will run into. You can learn more about this and the wifi signal strengths in our Help Center Article here.

Hi Chelsea,

Thanks for the reply. I am considering buying a hardwired Video Doorbell Pro, are there any sales on right now.

Also, I have a number of WiFi range extenders in service right now, will the ring system work with non-ring extenders?

Best regards and stay safe.

Peter Brixey

@PocketGopher The Ring devices should definitely work with wifi extenders, and our support team over the phone can always troubleshoot any network settings if you find the connection is still poor after install. The Ring Video Doorbell Pro is not currently on sale on our website here, but you can always shop around at 3rd party retailers to see if you can get a better deal! I believe if you buy from Costco, you get a free year of the Protect Plus Plan, which is worth $100 USD. Hope this helps and you’re staying safe too! :slight_smile:

Thanks Chelsea,

We do not have a Costco anywhere that makes membership and round trips worthwhile.

However, I did find a Ring - Video Doorbell Pro (satin Nickel) and Chime Pro Bundle 8VR1X8-0ENB (their product number # 38117) on the Monoprice web site. But I am not sure what generation it is. I did not see it mentioned in the specs. or description.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=38117

Best regards and stay safe,

Peter Brixey

@PocketGopher Awesome! There is only one version of the Ring Video Doorbell Pro, so that should be the same Pro we sell. In addition, that’s the Chime Pro 1st Generation, not the 2nd generation, just so you know! :slight_smile:

Thanks Chelsea,

I am looking forward to getting the set.

If I need to could I add a second extender on my outdoor lanai so that I will know when someone is at the door?

Thanks for all your help and stay safe,

Peter Brixey.

@PocketGopher Definitely, you’ll have to let me know how it goes! You can for sure add a Chime Pro to your setup, that way it can play Doorbell sounds for dings and/or motion events if you need them, and then you can use it as another extender to help ensure you have the best connection possible! :slight_smile:

Hello Chelsea

I hope all is well with you and you are staying safe.

My Ring Doorbell Pro/Chime Pro kit arrived today.

So far I have hooked up the Power Kit which was easy to do.

I tried to set up the Chime Pro according to the instructions but it failed to communicate with my Android phone. It could not turn on the BlueTooth on my phone. I tried it in different locations.

I’ll try again tomorrow using my wife’s Android phone.

Best regards,

Peter Brixey

1 Like

@PocketGopher Thank you, and same for you! Hope you’re staying healthy and safe. Let me know how your wife’s phone works, and feel free to also try this setup on a tablet or any other smart device that can have the Ring app on there, to see if this helps. Let me know! :slight_smile:

Thanks very much Chelsea, I’ll try my wife’s Android phone today and I’ll let you know. I tried the Chime Pro in a variety of locations but with the same result.

Say Safe,

Peter Brixey

1 Like

Hello again Chelsea,

I just want to let you know that I tried my Samsung before I tried my wife’s and this time it connected. I have installed the doorbell and all seems to be working.

Now all I need to do is to figure out how to use it. That will be fun I’m sure.

Stay safe,

Peter Brixey

1 Like

Was working well until I changed my ISP recently. It connects to my new ISP router, but it does not work anymore. The white light on the doorbell keeps and rotating and NEVER stops. The instructions are pretty useless. They do not say what to do when this happens.

Hi @PocketGopher. You can follow the steps in our Help Center Article here to reconnect your Doorbell to wifi. If you’re not able to get it reconnected by using those steps, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. They’ll be able to walk you throuigh any troubleshooting steps in order get you back up and running. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. :slight_smile: