Installing Ring Video Doorbell 2

I have a raised porch (6 steps). The existing doorbell connection is about 3 1/2 feet from floor to installation location. The instructions recommend to be installed at 4’ from the base of the porch. Since the porch is higher than ground level, do I still need to use the angle bracket? If so, do I place the angle bracket to angle down (because the porch is higher than 4’ from the ground) or to angle up (since the existing wiring location is lower than 4’ from porch floor)?

Hope this makes sense.

Great question @stmedlin! We recommend the Doorbell be mounted at 4 feet to ensure optimal motion detection field of view and distance. Although you are mounting it lower than this on the wall, the fact that it is measured from the raised porch will certainly help.

As visitors who approach are not yet on the porch, and the motion detection range will be able to reach beyond the porch, the need for a wedge kit may be decided by trial and error. In most cases, when a porch or stairs exist, we recommend a wedge kit angled downwards. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

1 Like

@stmedlin wrote:

I have a raised porch (6 steps). The existing doorbell connection is about 3 1/2 feet from floor to installation location. The instructions recommend to be installed at 4’ from the base of the porch. Since the porch is higher than ground level, do I still need to use the angle bracket? If so, do I place the angle bracket to angle down (because the porch is higher than 4’ from the ground) or to angle up (since the existing wiring location is lower than 4’ from porch floor)?

Hope this makes sense.

Adding to @Marley_Ring , here’s some additional information that might help you.

I’ve owned my “Ring Video Doorbell 2” for two years now. I’ll answer your last question first, because it is the easiest . . . “use Wedge to angle upward or angle downward?” If you do elect to use the Wedge, you should only use it to angle Downward. Definitely do not use the wedge angled upwards, in order to just to better see a person’s face while they are standing right at your door. You’re wiring is only a tad lower than typical, and angling your doorbell upwards is unnecessary. As you read below, you’ll understand why.

I am using the Wedge to angle my Doorbell downward (but I’m planning on removing the wedge soon). The base of my porch is 2 feet above ground level (only half as high as your porch). I know what Ring recommends in your case (use the plastic wedge to angle your Doorbell downward). That being said, I believe it really “depends” on the variables of installation-location and based on your choice. Here are somethings to consider as to whether or not to use the wedge that came with your Video Doorbell 2.

If the doorbell is angled downward, it’s maximum motion-detection range will be decreased, even with the “Motion Zones” set on “MAX”. When you point the Doorbell’s motion-detector towards the ground, its maximum detection-range will be decreased. Also, there appears to be a 1 to 2 second inherent-delay, between motion-detection and the Ring device actually starting to video-record. This can result in your recording starting when the person is already much closer to your doorbell. Sometimes, because of the late detection, I get recordings of the delivery-man’s back-side after he’s already dropped off a package! If someone was faster and stole my delivered package, I would have a nice video of their butt as they run away! The base of my porch is only half (2 feet) as high as your porch. So, this issue might not occur for you with your higher-elevated porch. But with a downward wedge, once the person is standing right at your door, their face maybe be above the camera’s field-of-view. And since your wiring is a tad lower than normal, if you also use the wedge, you’ll see even lower.

If you elect NOT to use the angle wedge, your detection range will be every far if you set it on a lower detection-range. But you will be able to detect motion early enough for you to record the delivery-man’s front-side as he approaches. Even though you can adjust the motion-range settings, coupled with the fact your porch is pretty high up, you might get annoying ‘false’ detections that you don’t want. This is especially true if your Doorbell is facing towards a street. Even in “Motion Verification”, it seems that the hot engine’s on passing SUVs and trucks can be mistaken as a human-motion, and even if you answered “Yes” during “Motion-Zone” setting to the question “Does your door face a street?” But you will be able to detect motion early enough for you to record the delivery-man’s front-side as he approaches.

For a friend, I recently installed a Ring Video Doorbell Generation 2 (which is not what you and I own). Since the Wedge is sold separately, and even though the base of my friend’s porch is 3 feet above ground level, we elected to install it without the downward angled wedge. This is how I know the “People Only Mode” can mistakenly think large vehicles are moving people. But I liked how this doorbell starts recording as the person is approaching (less back-side views) and you can better see their face when they are standing right at the door. Because of this, I plan to remove my wedge on my Video Doorbell 2.

So, think about your preferences. Then choose whether of not you want to use the wedge. Consider and ask “What’s most important to me?”:

-Want early detection/recording? Or you don’t mind seeing just “back-sides” of people?

-Does your 6-step, 4’ high porch already aid early detection and solve this detection-delay-issue?

-Does doorbell face a busy street? Want to reduce false motion-detection?

-Is it more important to see faces while at your door?

That all said, your 6-step high porch will aid in detection as they approach and you might get less 'butt-videos." But if I were you, try without the wedge first, so you don’t miss faces as often. You can always use the wedge later if you desire.

Oh, one other thing. Make sure you Connect and Power the house doorbell wires to your Ring Video Doorbell 2 BEFORE you perform your initial App Setup. If you had turned off a circuit-breaker suppling electrical power to the doorbell wires, ensure the power is back on. During the initial setup, often doorbells ‘look’ to see if external power is available to power your doorbell. If it does not ‘see’ power, this will cause your doorbell to default into “Battery Mode” only instead of “Hardwired Mode.” Your battery will drain faster and never get the 'Trickle-charged" off through your wiring, even if the wires are connected after the setup. Your doorbell is really a battery-powered device and the hardwiring only provides for recharging the battery, not powering the doorbell itself.

Good Luck! I hope this helps you decide “To Wedge, or Not to Wedge” :slight_smile:

1 Like

I wanna buy the new solar panel for my Ring doorbell 2. The solar similar to the stickup cam or spotlight cams. I don’t want an angle. Can I use 2 wedges to form a raised platform instead of creating an angle? Or is there a bracket that would suit my needs?

Hi there, @Ahtn1121! You’ll find great interest in our Solar Charger for the Doorbell 2. This Solar Charger get’s installed as a bracket and mounts right to your Doorbell.

While you are able to use a Wedge and Corner Kit if needed, it is not necessary to create a platform for this Solar Charger. I hope this helps! :slight_smile: