Image of person on snapshot but no video of event

So we have a Ring video doorbell 2, lately it seems like it does not detect my husband coming home from work (which is typically just before or at 6:00am so it’s still dark) This morning however, I saw that there is a snapshot image that captured him at the door however there was not any video of “motion detected” or “person detected” of him walking from our driveway to the door. I’ve ensured all motion alerts are on and the zones cover all the way to just before the sidewalk in front of our house. The only difference is that we just recently installed a spotlight camera above our garage so I would think that our “garage cam” would capture him pulling into the driveway and then walking towards the front door then the doorbell camera SHOULD pick him up the rest of the way walking up to the front door but it does not. Not sure if that has anything to do with it but the video doorbell was working fine before and had captured video of him walking in. I also do NOT have the devices “linked” in the app, meaning if the garage cam senses motion then the doorbell does NOT automatically begins to record. I didn’t think that would be necessary as I explained that I “thought” the video doorbell would pick up where the garage cam left off based on their position and when motion is detected. Am I wrong? Any help would be appreciated. Both doorbell and spotlight cam are battery. I have also tested this myself, but of course when I walk out, wait and walk back up the door it detects me just fine. ?

Hi @MercedesAriana! It looks like you’ve checked some great variables and covered the right steps here. As all environments are different, we ensure to provide numerous settings in the Ring app for fine tuning motion. Settings such as motion zones, sensitivity, scheduling, and motion frequency ( if you have a battery powered device), can help to ensure you capture as much as possible. Keep in mind that after a motion event, your Ring device will be in the process of recording and communicating the event for a moment.

Your Snapshots will, of course, help to fill in between events. Check out our help center article for tips and tricks on using the Snapshot feature best. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

My product is the video doorbell pro:

I have somewhat of a similar issue… There has been an incident involving a group of people scoping cars to break into and according to my neighbour someone tried to climb onto our roof, BUT there is CRUCIAL footage that wasn’t motion recorded and only a snapshot capture.

ANY car that drives past my house is recorded, person to pet, it picks it all up. That I am aware of, I have never had an issue. But why this instance it’s only a snapshot and not a motion recording… There was quite a bit of motion to capture as well, including a car and four people, and one walking into my front yard…

This is alarming for one, and it makes me furious that I had got this product for this exact reason.

Please shed some light.

Hey @Renogade911. I recommend following up with our support team directly so they can ensure all your motion settings and device settings are set up properly to avoid this happening in the future! Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19. This has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.