How it Works: Video Doorbell (1st Gen) and Video Doorbell 2 Motion Settings

Overview

Motion settings are unique to everyone’s needs and location. However, finding the best motion settings for your Doorbell is easiest when it is installed at the best angle and view. Please remember, that there is no perfect setting for everyone. As you adjust your motion sensor setting, you are also adjusting the level of sensitivity for your motion zones, which will affect how many motion alerts you receive.

Camera View

As we dive deeper into motion settings, remember to take into consideration the view from your Doorbell camera, also known as the camera view. This is not to be confused with the field of motion, which is what your sensors cover. The photo below is an example of a camera view.

Field of Motion

Your field of motion differs from the camera’s field of view, as it’s the area your device will be triggered by heat signature movement. In the photo below you see a blue line with arrows. From that blue line down is considered the field of motion for your device. It does not sense motion in the entire camera view area; it only senses motion from the midway point down.

Note: We recommend positioning the device so that the field of motion is focused on where a person’s shoulders and torso area would be as they approach. This will ensure the most accuracy in detecting the heat signatures of someone approaching your device. Especially if you can install it in a way that they approach from the side, crossing through the motion zones as they approach your Doorbell.

Motion Range

Now that we understand where the field of motion falls versus the camera view, let’s look at your motion settings. Adjusting the motion range for your zones doesn’t determine how far away your motion detectors will sense heat. Instead, it adjusts how sensitive your device will be to heat signatures. Take a look at the motion range slider in the example below. If you set it to “MAX”, it will be very sensitive and may send you a lot of false alerts from cars if you are close to a road. However, if you set it too close to “MIN”, it might miss people approaching your device and lead to you only having a video of them leaving.

Motion Zones

The example below shows the motion zone settings. You can tap each zone to enable and disable detection for those areas.

Testing Your Settings

When configuring your motion zones, be sure to test your device to confirm that you have your ideal setting by following the steps below.

1. In the Ring app open the main menu in the top left corner and select “Devices.”
  2. Select your Video Doorbell from the “Devices” list.
  3. Tap “Motion Settings”.
  4. Tap “Motion Frequency” then select “Frequent” and tap “Save” in the top right corner.
  5. Go back to Motion Settings and tap “Motion Zones.”
  6. Adjust your motion range setting to find your ideal sensitivity, then tap “Continue.”
  7. Select your preferred Motion Zones, then tap “Save.”
  8. Press your Doorbell to save the settings.
  9. Test your settings by walking toward your Doorbell and opening the motion event notification to see where you are in the camera view when it starts to capture video.
    • If there seems to be a delay, you’ll need to increase your motion range or check your Wi-Fi speeds.
    • If it records too early, you’ll need to decrease your motion range.
    • Once you like your Motion Settings and when they trigger your Doorbell, go back and select your preferred Motion Frequency setting to preserve battery life.
    • Note: “Standard” is recommended for the best balance of motion detection and battery performance.
    • Now you are all set!
5 Likes

That was so helpful after lots of searching you have solved my issue. Thank you.

2 Likes

I have been experiencing the same lack of Amazon and UPS deliveries being captured by my Ring Doorbell. I have a Ring Doorbell 2 that was hardwired to a door chime and 16V transformer. I am happy to say that I was successful with some investigation in determining why the doorbell was not capturing deliveries from Amazon and UPS. I changed settings within Smart Alerts and updated my Transformer from 16V to 24V. The higher voltage on the transformer has greatly improved the Ring Doorbell’s operation. The night view is now in color rather than black and white, and the application on my smartphone opens instantly when launched, and changing screens within the app opens instantly. In cold weather, the battery now charges and has maintained a 100% charge so I was able to change the frequency of capturing activity in advance settings from Periodically to Frequently without having the battery charge level compromised

Why was I not getting deliveries recorded? I believe that Amazon updated the AI rules that now process Package detections differently than other motions and the doorbell now identifies the Amazon and UPS logos on the delivery clothing and follows the Package rules you have set for Packages. If a Package option on your app is not set up, then the doorbell does not record or notify that activity.

I recommend updating the voltage of the transformer so that increasing the frequency does not negatively affect the battery charge.

Could I have a list of the external chimes that work with the Ring Video Doorbell? I believe Ring tested certain manufacturers and models and there is a list of chimes that will continue to work with the Ring doorbell installed. Thank you.