How do I get Ring 2 video to automatically show on Echo Show 8

Maybe if enough of us comment about the lack of support, Amazon will respond.

4 Likes

It would really be helpful if there was an option in Alexa or the ring app to open video feed when the camera turns on. Very simple task to add on. And would be very helpful

6 Likes

I cant even get ring to display on my echo show 8. It says waiting for ring.com and never connnects

1 Like

This might be an indicator for an instable wifi connection to the doorbell or your echo show.

Does the video start if you try it via the ring app?

1 Like

I was advised by Ring that a 6 second delay is “normal” for the video to load after someone presses the doorbell which I find unacceptable.

7 Likes

For me the delay is usually 2-3 seconds, but there have been times when its been 5-6 seconds.

Check your internet speed and WIFI connection between router and camera.

2 Likes

Works for me!

I have echo show 8 and an echo dot right next to it.

Use - Alexe app

Routines

Enter routine name

When this happens

Smart home

front door

save - when front door is pressed

anytime - don’t change

add action

Alexa says

Customise

Enter response: Alexa, Alexa, show the front door

From

Choose device

pick your echo dot name

Works for me!

6 Likes

SOLUTION
I have an echo show 8 and a echo dot right next to it.
Use Alexa app.
Routines.
Enter routine name.
When this happens.
Smart home.
Front door.
Save - when front door is pressed.
Anytime - don’t change.
Add action.
Alexa says.
Customise.
Enter response: Alexa, Alexa, show the front door.
From.
Choose device.
Pick your echo dot name.

3 Likes

I have a total of 3 cameras and the Ring 2 video doorbell. All of them are on my Echo show 8 but I can only see 2 when I bring them up. When I ask Alexa to find the other 2 she can not and neither does motion or activity show up automatically. I bought the Echo Show 8 explicitly to use with my Ring cameras for when I am at work. My husband does not have a smartphone ad knows very little about technology! I’m disappointed. As I was typing this someone rang my doorbell. Alexa alerted me that there was someone at the door but did not show me who was there. No video showed.

2 Likes

Hi Bo,

Great out of the box thinking to try and make up for a poorly designed integration.

I tried your method and it worked but the initial 5 to 6 second lag in displaying the video in general was already unacceptable then adding in the 2nd Echo unit…well you might as well walk up and open the front door to see who it is.

Manual Method - Telling Alexa to Show Front Door:

1st Trial - 6.87 secs,

2nd Trial - 5.89 secs,

3rd Trial - 6.77 secs

Bo’s Method - Using 2 Echos to Show Front Door:

1st Trial - 17.57 secs

2nd Trial - 16.96 secs

3rd Trial - 16.54 secs.

MESSAGE FOR RING GUYS - Many users purchase these Amazon products with expectations that they would seamlessly integrate with each other.

The MAIN Issues:

-Unacceptable initial 6 second delay in showing the front door when asked.

-Having to manually beg Alexa to show the front door to display on the Echo Show 8.

I have mesh WiFi system with 330Mbps download/ 17Mbps upload and a latency of 10ms - my RING 2 has an RSSI of 40 on the 2.4GHz network connecting to the primary node which means it goes straight out to you guys from my router. I am paying for your yearly service and I find the lag unacceptable. When the doorbell is pressed you should be able to immediately shortcircuit from the RING2 to my ECHO SHOW 8 to bypass the initial delay in viewing who is at the front door. I like some of your features but everyone in this doorbell space can do those things too. I have had your system for 2 years now and I feel that I might have backed the wrong horse in the Front Door Camera race and I should have gone with team “Search Engine.” Thanks for reading my rant - I am hoping you will start to listen what your current customers want from your products.

14 Likes

You cant be serious. This is some basic functionality that should be included out the box. I can see if it were two different companies and needed to work with each other to integrate, but cmon Amazon owns Ring.

Returning both Ring and Echos. Pretty useless without this basic feature.

4 Likes

For two weeks or more someone from Ring has been trying to sort out the issue with the Echo Show and Ring Doorbell to no avail. Today I was contacted by someone else from Ring who told me to dowload the Rapid Ring App as this will supposedly allow the video to load faster. I have seen pros and cons about the Rapid Ring App so I am not going to bother with it. I am not too keen on having to use two apps in order to get the two devices to work in sync; that may happen and may not. I was also told that Amazon does own Ring however, Ring and Amazon Echo are two separate entities. I find the advertising for the Ring and Echo Show to be deceptive as these devices do not work as advertised.

2 Likes

Same here. I just bought 2 echo show 8 expecting this specific feature/behavior to work and to my surprise, it doesn’t. At least returning them would be easy since I found this out before opening the 2nd one. Quite disappointed.

3 Likes

I have just wasted three weeks in dealing with this issue with Ring reps to no avail. Their resolution to the issue was, “a 3 - 7 second delay is normal”. I am pretty ticked to say the least. It is my opinion that Ring’s advertising is deceptive. Ring passed the buck and told me to contact and deal with Amazon to get this issue resolved. Dealing with Amazon reps is a nightmare and the end result will be no resolution. I believe that Ring is only a very, very expensive doorbell!

2 Likes

Thanks for you information. I am in Panama Country and we have the same issue we hope Ring and Echo Team can work and fix that. We want to make Real Smart Home Automation.

2 Likes

Can someone from Ring respond here? This is a basic functionality issue. Even if it is Amazon’s to fix, we’d all really appreciate it if Ring would show some acknowledgement and possibly engage with Amazon to make the products better.

3 Likes

If you do a search, you will find Rings response in more than one thread. It doesn’t work like stated and their looking into it .

1 Like

I have an echo show 8 and thought it would show automactically but soon realised it doesnt and suppose its work in progress… but there are work arounds as i am sure yall might have read on here and i tend to not rely on the echo and have a android tablet automactically show me, its set on the rapid ring app notification and the load time it quick i would say approx 3sec to load live view automactically.

So until there is a offical feature for this from Amazon/RING this method fulfills this need for me atleast :smiley:

I really wish I could return my two.
Really wish I purchased google nest and hub.

1 Like

I agree… it’s annoying actual echo show reviewers don’t call out Amazon on this
Only when it affects Ring and Echo sales will they release a simple update

1 Like