Force Video Doorbell 3 Plus to 5Ghz

I have a Ring Video Doorbell 3 Plus. It is 3 ft away from my wireless 802.11ac Synology router. My router is configured with its Smart Connect technology that automatically steers devices towards the band that gives them the strongest speed and signal. It is a single SSID that supports both 2.4 and 5Ghz bands.

Since my Ring is only 3 ft from my router and I have numeroust wireless devices on the 2.4Ghz band, is there a way to force the doorbell to the 5Ghz band without creating a separate 5Ghz SSID?

1 Like

There’s no way to do it. In addition, once connected, Ring doorbell will NOT switch automatically to anything, it will drain its battery to zero being connected on the weakest 5Ghz signal and the worst access point instead of using chime pro or another wireless point, even close to it. See my post here

1 Like

Did you find a solution ? I’d be interested too for a doorbell 3…

Hey neighbors! While I’m unable to answer specifically for the router type mentioned here, I can certainly provide insight from the Ring side. Short answer is yes. During the in app setup process for the Video Doorbell 3, there will be an option at the end to select your home wifi network. Choosing the 5Ghz specific network will ensure that the Ring device knows to connect to this, and the Ring device will securely remain connected to this network, or should. There is also a “add hidden network” option during the Ring setup that will allow you to manually enter the network information if needed.

If your network equipment has features in which combines SSID or network types seamlessly, any control of that would need to be adjusted from the router side in the form of a guest network, or prioritization settings. As network compliance was mentioned, please ensure the network is 802.11 b/g/n. I hope this helps! :slight_smile: