Force Ring to stay on 2.4 ghz?

Anyone know of a way of setting the Ring 3 Plus to stay on 2.4 ghz. Because of distance I guess, it seems to like it better than 5ghz, but my xfinity router decides to change it back/fortth and xfinity doesn’t give you different SSID’s for each channel.

Hey @ghoofie. You may need to reach out to your ISP and ask them if you can have a separate SSID for 2.4 Ghz and 5.0 Ghz, or to help you create another channel that just has the 2.4 Ghz on it, as some ISPs can help make these changes for you. Once you can have 2.4 Ghz on it’s own channel, then you shouldn’t have to worry about the Doorbell 3 Plus trying to switch back and forth. :slight_smile:

@ghoofie wrote:

Anyone know of a way of setting the Ring 3 Plus to stay on 2.4 ghz. Because of distance I guess, it seems to like it better than 5ghz, but my xfinity router decides to change it back/forth and xfinity doesn’t give you different SSID’s for each channel.

I’m hoping you already got your Ring 3 to stay on 2.4 GHz. Did you ever figure out a solution? Pity your Xfinity did not have two separate WiFi network names (two SSIDs) for each GHz.

I was lucky that my Pace Router from AT&T does have two separate SSIDs. Originally, both my 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks had the exact same SSID name (“2WireXXX”) and therefore it deceptively appeared as only a single Wi-Fi network.

I just left the SSID name unchanged for the 2.4 GHz, and then I changed the name for the 5 GHz to “2WireXXX 5G.” I left the two identical passwords to both unchanged. Now, both individual networks show during Wi-Fi scans.

Then Wi-Fi devices I only wanted to use 2.4 GHz, I only logged those onto “2WireXXX.”

And those I only wanted to use the 5 GHz, those I logged onto the “2WireXXX 5G.”

My Ring Video devices are all using 2.4 GHz, but they often lost the competing battle (no Live View, Black screens, connection issues, etc.) for high-data-streaming with my other Wi-Fi devices. All my 5 GHz capable devices I logged only onto “2WireXXX 5G” network, thus reducing the competition for the Ring.

I know you wanted to do this with your setup. From what I can tell, some Xfinity routers do have Network 1 SSID and a Network 2 SSID for each.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/wifi-change-admin-tool

I’m very curious as to how did you solve your issue? :wink:

I was able to finally get my Xfinity router to have separate SSID for 2.4 and 5 ghz. So that solve that . Thank You.

2 Likes

@ghoofie wrote:

I was able to finally get my Xfinity router to have separate SSID for 2.4 and 5 ghz. So that solve that . Thank You.

Ah, excellent to hear that! :slight_smile:

You might also want to look into modifying your 2.4 GHz Channel Selection too. Before, my router would automatically pick which of the main, commonly-used channels in Auto Mode (Ch 1, Ch 6, Ch 11). But using my router’s software and using a downloaded App on my Window’s PC (Wifi Analyzer and Scanner), I was able to tweak my router not to use Auto Channel Selection Mode, and rather stay on the 2.4 GHz channel of my choice (in my case Ch 4, that is in between the typically used channels) and that reduced additional the Wi-Fi interference I was getting from my neighbor’s routers. I did noticed an improvement on my Ring cameras (over just reducing the 2.4 GHz competition between my Wi-Fi devices alone).

I left my 5 GHz channel selection on Auto, since all of my Ring devices do not use 5 GHz.

I think currently only the Video Doorbell Pro , the Video Doorbell Elite, and the Video Doorbell 3 Plus are both 5 GHz & 2.4 GHz capable (and I do not own any of these).

I’m glad you got your Wi-Fi router into separate 2.4 CHz and 5 GHz. :slight_smile:

1 Like

One might also set up a “Guest” network, with security+password, that is 2.4 only.

1 Like

Hello,
This was a very legitimate question (and I have the same issue).
2.4Ghz could be much better on some circonstances (but this is nt the debate).
2.4 vs 5 Ghz is/should be an option on the device side
Yes you can force it by connecting to a 2.4 only wifi SSID but it’s a (poor) workaround.
How could it be possible to push this change/feature to a future firmware update ?

Thank you,
Fred

1 Like

Great solutions everyone. I too want to push my camera over my garage only to 2.4, the interference kills the connection on 5Ghz often, leaving it in offline mode until it finally reconnects (Has taken up to a day before).

Has this ever been addressed on device side - my mesh network is great but defaults to 5G when it can so would be great to force on the app to 2.4G

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.