Force Ring to stay on 2.4 ghz?

@ghoofie wrote:

Anyone know of a way of setting the Ring 3 Plus to stay on 2.4 ghz. Because of distance I guess, it seems to like it better than 5ghz, but my xfinity router decides to change it back/forth and xfinity doesn’t give you different SSID’s for each channel.

I’m hoping you already got your Ring 3 to stay on 2.4 GHz. Did you ever figure out a solution? Pity your Xfinity did not have two separate WiFi network names (two SSIDs) for each GHz.

I was lucky that my Pace Router from AT&T does have two separate SSIDs. Originally, both my 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks had the exact same SSID name (“2WireXXX”) and therefore it deceptively appeared as only a single Wi-Fi network.

I just left the SSID name unchanged for the 2.4 GHz, and then I changed the name for the 5 GHz to “2WireXXX 5G.” I left the two identical passwords to both unchanged. Now, both individual networks show during Wi-Fi scans.

Then Wi-Fi devices I only wanted to use 2.4 GHz, I only logged those onto “2WireXXX.”

And those I only wanted to use the 5 GHz, those I logged onto the “2WireXXX 5G.”

My Ring Video devices are all using 2.4 GHz, but they often lost the competing battle (no Live View, Black screens, connection issues, etc.) for high-data-streaming with my other Wi-Fi devices. All my 5 GHz capable devices I logged only onto “2WireXXX 5G” network, thus reducing the competition for the Ring.

I know you wanted to do this with your setup. From what I can tell, some Xfinity routers do have Network 1 SSID and a Network 2 SSID for each.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/wifi-change-admin-tool

I’m very curious as to how did you solve your issue? :wink: