cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

False Rings due to Sunlight

Highlighted
New Neighbor

False Rings due to Sunlight

Has anybody experience ghost like "mis-rings" / doorbell errors due to direct sunlight on the RING Doorbell? I have now had this happen multiple times almost exactly at the same time (10:11am) in the morning when the sun is directly in the camera. Doorbell rings and false positive occurs. When you watch the video there was never anyone there to push the button. Either faulty system or my house is haunted.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: False Rings due to Sunlight

Hey @NAldridge01! A ding event should only occur upon button push, and should not be triggered by a motion or sunlight. All of our outdoor devices are rated for weather resistance and should not be affected by direct sunlight.

I recommend reaching out to our support team for a more in-depth look at this concern. Feel free to let us know how it goes! 

Like my answer? Accept it as a solution (click on the 'Accepted Solution' button next to reply). Learn more about the Community, here.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

It's happened too many times to be a fluke. Next time it goes off I will submit the Ring video of nobody at the door and the event (doorbell ring).
Highlighted
New Neighbor

This is happened at our house the past two days at the exact same time as well, when direct sunlight makes contact with the Ring device. I stood there for a minute and it happened again while I was watching. No one pushed the button and yet my Ring alerted the whole house as if someone had physically rang the doorbell. This must be some sort of bug in a recent software update or something.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Hi, I'm experiencing this same issue.  It seems to happen around the same time each day. The doorbell will ring throughout the house, like the button was pressed.  It only happens on sunny mornings. It seems there is a small window when the sun shines on the doorbell and that's when it triggers. Could it be a thermal expansion issue where materials are expanding and cause a button/switch trigger in the doorbell?