Every morning!

Every morning when the doorbell (Pro) switches from night to day vision, is sets off motion alert. There is an audible click (infrared lens moving). Don’t care about the click, but the motion alerts are a problem. I’ve done a little looking and have seen others with the same problem, but I don’t see anything where Ring has addressed it. Today I contacted chat support. Suggestion was to disable motion during the particular time period. Suggestion came pretty quick and based on what I’ve read so far, seems this is well known and never been addressed. This is pretty poor for a problem that’s been present for a couple of years on a doorbell that retails for $250. When will Ring fix it!

Thanks for your feedback @AnotherNeighbor . This is expected behavior, but we have sent your feedback to the team as we are always working on improving our neighbors experience with their devices.

I just installed my Ring Video Doorbell Pro and I have this same issue. The last two mornings I have awakened by motion activity only to see it switch from night to day mode and hear it click.

Being that this is all softeware driven it seems like it would be an easy fix to disable motion sensing right before switching modes then re-enable right after.

You can schedule motion disable for certain times/days. So I have done that as a workaround. I have a 30 minute period that motion is disabled. But you have to shift it periodically for seasonal changes. Shouldn’t have to do that to begin with. It’s a Kludge. I’ve also found if the porch light is left on all night it doesn’t happen. Meaning the change in lighting in the morning is lesser so it doesn’t trigger. Again, a Kludge. Ring says they’re “working on it”, but have no solution or ETA. I don’t have high hopes since I’ve seen references to people having this issues for a couple of years.

As an aside I’ve already tried things like revising the motion area it pays attention to as well as setting slider all the way to “People” for what it deems motion. It’s a flaw plain and simple and they haven’t been able to resolve to date.

@Marley_Ring - Kind of funny how depending on who I talk to at Ring, I get different answers. You say it’s “Expected Behavior”. Maybe if you expect it to have problems, it is. But it’s not a good thing. If it is expected, then I’d “expect” a reference in the manual that says it operates this way and here’s how to handle. Yeah, didn’t think so.

But when I talk to other reps I get everything from, “don’t have any other instances of that” to “yes, we’re working on it, but have no ETA”. The latter came after I sent video examples of it happening everyday.

So different Ring reps, different answers. Either way, seems to be a defficancy of Ring that I doubt will ever change.

Excellent idea using the motion scheduling feature to avoid receiving this alert each morning. To confirm, this would not be considered an issue or error per say, and I apologize if support implied such. By stating the team is “working on it”, is merely us reassuring that we value your feedback and are always working towards improving our neighbors’ experience.

To clarify, motion can certainly be triggered due to an abrupt change in the environment such as a night to day transition. This is the nature of picking up a change in a drawn zone, whether that be movement, shadows, or an astronomical difference in brightness. We can understand how this occurrence can be frustrating, and of course will share this concern with the team.

I’m sorry, but this response is very poor.

“To confirm, this would not be considered an issue or error per say”

I wholeheartedly disagree.

“By stating the team is “working on it”, is merely us reassuring that we value your feedback and are always working towards improving our neighbors’ experience.”

There is nothing reassuring about saying you’re working on it if you aren’t. That’s called a lie.

“To clarify, motion can certainly be triggered due to an abrupt change in the environment such as a night to day transition.”

There is nothing “abrupt” about night to day transition. There’s no big light switch in the sky. The only thing “abrupt” is inside the camera switching modes, which Ring absolutely has control over. Logic could be set to disable motion for that switch and then reenable. But I’m not going to solve the inner workings and code for Ring.

1 Like

For now the motion scheduling feature will be the best to use for avoiding this motion event every morning. If you have not already tried, the people only setting will also help to prevent false alerts by other objects or changes.

To further clarify, our Video Doorbell Pro utilizes advance motion detection, which uses drawn zones and noticeable changes in these zones to trigger a motion event. While movement is what is most commonly and intended to be detected, simple changes in the environment can cause an alert as well. Check out our help center article, the bottom portion lists common culprits which might trigger false alerts.

All understood already. It is already slid all the way to “People”. Zones have been redrawn just in case. What I’m saying is that it is very clear the trigger is the internal switch from night mode to day mode, thus a flaw in the doorbell. I’ve already been through this with the support team and it is well known that is the issue.