cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doorbells Feature Request

Highlighted
Community Manager

Doorbells Feature Request

Hi neighbors! At Ring, we take feedback and feature request very seriously. That's why we're creating this special post, where you can share any wish list items you'd like to go with your current Ring device. We'll keep this post pinned to the top of the Doorbells board so you can easily access it.  Be sure to do a quick search and see if your item is already on the list to avoid duplicates. If it is, go ahead and give it a 'kudo' so we know that is what you want too! 

Please note, that anything you disclose to us by commenting on this post will be the property of Ring. Please see our Terms of Service for more information. We look forward to hearing your feature requests! 
Got a question? The Community is full of answers! Use our Search bar at the top for quick results.
107 REPLIES 107
New Neighbor II

Re: Doorbells Feature Request

Siren speaker built into doorbell, for the same reason it is built into the security cams.
Can thwart theives from your door with the loud siren

New Neighbor

Hello,

I recently got a Ring Doorbell 2 to complement my existing ring setup (Ring Alarm, two Sitck Up Cams with solar panels and Floodlight Cam).  So far I am really liking the doorbell though it is a bit of a nuisance to only hear the doorbell ring through the app on my phone.  I know I can get a chime, but I already have a Ring alarm which has a pretty powerful speaker.  I would LOVE to have the doorbell ring through the alarm base station and keypad.  I honestly assumed  that this would automatically be the case - teach me to assume ;-)

Thanks for the opportunity to offer a feature request!

New Neighbor

Hi - In the app it would be great to see if the doorbell cam is being charged via the doorbell wiring.  I have confirmed the appropriate voltage coming through the wires, but in the app you only see 'battery' similar to solar stick-up cams.  Having the ability to know you are charging, even if slow, would be great.  Right now, I don't know if my Doorbell 2 is getting a charge via the wiring or if it is 100% on battery.  I have no way of being sure if I am getting a charge though I think it is as I am only seeing about 1% drop every couple days despite HDR video and near max motion zone sensitivity.  Thanks for considering this.

New Neighbor

The live view feature needs to have a video quality setting that can be adjusted. For example I'm currently having an issue because I have a budget phone plan with Sprint and they limit video streaming to 'DVD' quality for the price I pay. Apparently behind the scenes they're really just limiting any video stream to 1.5Mbps. Unfortunately streaming from my Ring Pro is considered the same as video streaming apps to come carriers so my live view will not connect.

It would be great if there was a way to select the quality of the live view. If I could select a lower quality I could still use live view with my cell carrier. Also I'd go a step further and recommend even a voice only option. Like if I was somewhere with pretty poor service I'd still like to be able to talk to someone at my doorbell even if I couldn't see them in a pinch. So a drop down that had options like: Auto, 1080, 720, 480, audio only or similar would be very beneficial to a lot of people. Additionally it may help keep more customers as I nearly returned my Pro once I found out this was going to be an issue.

New Neighbor II

Hi Jennifer.

Thanks for reaching out to the customers for suggestions; that's awesome.

There are two things I'd love to see:

(1) I use a hearing aid which I then pair with my iPhone.  When I use the Ring app on my iPhone, sometimes the audio correctly comes to my hearing aid, but other times it comes out the speaker of the phone (even when the phones "mute" button is turned on).  When this happens, I have to quickly stop ring or try to lower the volume or put my hand over the speaker.  It can be very embarrassing and annoying.

It would be great if the app had a way to choose where the audio comes out (phone ear piece, phone speaker, hearing aid (Bluetooth device), etc).

(2) I really like my Ring Pro video doorbell.  My existing intercom is a KSU, i.e., a phone/intercom system which has speaker/pushbutton modules by the front and back doors.  I would like to have a way to easily interface the Ring Pro to my KSU.

What would be nice to see is a small box that simply has a set of relay contacts (Common, Normally Open, Normally Closed) such that the relay is activated when the Ring Pro button is pressed.  This box could either go inline with the video doorbell, or it could be stand alone and simply paired to the video doorbell.  This way I could wire up the COM/NO relay contacts in parallel with the existing KSU push button to have the existing KSU ring the phones when someone hits the button on the Ring Pro.

I hope this all makes sense.  Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or recommendations.

Thank you for your time.  :-)

New Neighbor

I just installed a Video Doorbell Pro and there is a serious problem that needs to be fixed immediately.

For some reason, you don't have a "Motion Record" on-off switch in the app for the doorbell. This is despite your website saying this:

Using the Motion Record Control to Disable Recording

If you don't want your Ring device to record any motion, you can disable motion recording by using the Motion Record control in your Ring app.

I want to be able to prevent private conversations that I have on my front porch from being recorded and sent to your servers. Why in the world would you leave this feature off your doorbells and then falsely claim on your website that you have it?

I talked to support on chat and they first suggested workarounds such as shrinking my motion zone or setting a schedule for when I don't want my own device recording me, which is not acceptable. They then said I should make a "suggestion" here that will need to be reviewed by the development team. However, unfortunately, I believe you must have some other reason that you require our doorbells to record everything even if we don't want them to, so there's more here at play.

So where do we go from here?

New Neighbor

I might add that this is a problem especially here in Washington state, where we have strict laws about recording private conversations. Garmin's newer dash cam models sold in the U.S. don't record audio (even though, on the older models, you at least had the option to turn off the microphone) because of these legal concerns. That's why I am so surprised that Ring devices don't have the option to turn off audio recording, and that, for the doorbells in particular, you can't turn off motion recording (video with audio). And, further, Ring doorbells immediately upload your private conversations to their company servers!

I would like to know if your company considered different state privacy laws and how and why you chose to make a hardwired product that records all conversation without the ability to turn it off, and, again, what are our remedies?

Thank you.

New Neighbor

On the app you can go to your device, Motion Settings, Motion Zones and uncheck the 'Active' box. This will disable all motion zones without having to resize/move them each time. This should (I haven't personally tested it) disable all motion recording. Then when you're finished you can check the active box again to enable normal operation.

New Neighbor

@Dwain77 wrote:

On the app you can go to your device, Motion Settings, Motion Zones and uncheck the 'Active' box. This will disable all motion zones without having to resize/move them each time. This should (I haven't personally tested it) disable all motion recording. Then when you're finished you can check the active box again to enable normal operation.

Well I'll be... it worked! Thank you! I don't know why customer support didn't suggest that.

I still think they should simply have a "Motion Record" on/off slider for doorbells just like their other devices.