Doorbells Feature Request

have you tried using the wedges (angled back plates) to make the camera point more to the ground (or left/right if that is where the ‘interference’ is)

It’s not interference—right now it’s movement from work on the house and often from entertaining on our patio, which we generally want monitored with the doorbell. But thanks.

Hello I recnetly installed a Ring Doorbell 2 that is connected to a mechanical doorbell. I was very disappointed to learn that this doorbell does not have the ability to silence the chime on the in home doorbell. This was a awesome feature on my previous door bell and for anyone with kids or pets it was very helpfull to be able to turn off the chime when we would not want to be disturbed. Please consider adding this feature in the near future.

1 Like

@ring_user_oh wrote:

Hello I recnetly installed a Ring Doorbell 2 that is connected to a mechanical doorbell. I was very disappointed to learn that this doorbell does not have the ability to slience the chime on the in home doorbell. This was a awesome feature on my previous door bell and for anyone with kids or pets it was very helpfull to be able to turn off the chime when we would not want to be disturbed. Please consider adding this feature in the near future.

@ring_user_oh : Are you sure you can’t disable it? What happens if you go into the Ring app and configure the “Doorbell Chime Type” to be “None” – does that help?

-Jon

@Tyler wrote:

My neighbor who is 15’ ft from us, sets off motion constantly. I can’t adust to avoid.

So when i’m home, I turn off motion zones by going to to app, then device, then settings, then device settings, then motion settings, then motion zones, then I shut all 3 zones off. Lots of steps, but I go fast. This way it won’t record any movement till you turn them on again. Should they give us an easier way, YES!

@Tyler - Aren’t you able to exclude your neighbor’s property (house/yard/etc) from your zones? I guess I’m not understanding why you would sometimes want to have the neighbor’s property in one of your zones.

@JonS wrote:

What would be nice to see is a small box that simply has a set of relay contacts (Common, Normally Open, Normally Closed) such that the relay is activated when the Ring Pro button is pressed. This box could either go inline with the video doorbell, or it could be stand alone and simply paired to the video doorbell. This way I could wire up the COM/NO relay contacts in parallel with the existing KSU push button to have the existing KSU ring the phones when someone hits the button on the Ring Pro.

Hi all.

Just a quick update… I bought a couple 24 VAC (SPDT) relays and wired them in series with my Ring Pro doorbell (well, the relays are wired in parallel with each other, then that “relay pack” is wired in series with the Ring doorbell). Using the app on my phone, I then set the “Doorbell Type” to “Mechanical” (with a 2 second duration), and lo and behold, now when the button the Ring Pro is pushed, the relays kick in for 2 seconds.

That solved this problem – I wired the COM/NO contacts from one relay across the doorbell button contacts of my existing doorbell system (Panasonic KSU), and I’m planning on using the COM/NO contacts from the second relay as inputs to my home automation system (i.e., inputs to an ESP8266).

Thanks to the Ring support team for pointing me to the 24 VAC relays. They work great. :slight_smile:

Here’s something else that I’d like to see – more integration and control with IFTTT. For example, it would be nice to be able to control/configure the Ring doorbell via IFTTT. I could see doing something like setting up a button in the house that would trigger an IFTTT event, and that event could turn on/off motion detection on the Ring doorbell. (I’m not a big fan of using apps for everything – I’d rather have a physical button I could press to control the configuration of the doorbell.)

Something to think about…

Cheers.

JonS I dont have this option with the Ring 2 I believe this is only availalable in the Ring Pro

2 Likes

@ring_user_oh wrote:

JonS I dont have this option with the Ring 2 I believe this is only availalable in the Ring Pro

Oh, sorry to hear that. Yeah, it’s a nice feature that should be added to Ring 2 (if possible).

Good luck. :slight_smile:

Facial recognition where you can add your family, friends or others whom often visit and then when the Ring Doorbell recognises them instead of getting a ‘someone is at your front door’ or ‘There is motion at your front door’ notification it could say for example ‘John Smith is at your front door’ or ‘John Smith detected at your front door’.

Would also be cool if it could recognise postal company uniforms or that someone is carrying a parcel and notify you ‘Delivery/Parcel is at your front door’ or something along those lines.

Also local recording and having the option to remove the ring logo or making it smaller atleast from your recordings.

1 Like

Hello - I too wear hearing aids that are paired to my iPhone as well. I experience similar problems with audio misdirection. As JonS said, it can be embarassing in a group (for your development team, think standing in a scrum standup when a stray noise emerges from a team member’s phone while presenting your cards is progress…all eyes on you my friends!). Seriously, I have a reasonably large investment in Ring; doorbells, alarm system, 10 cameras, integrated door locks - i think you get the point. I really do love the Ring products and compay as a whole. Please continue down the path of enabling those that are impaired in some way.

Thanks!!

2 Likes

I know it is possible to pause alerts using Motion Settings, and that I can snooze alerts with Motion Snooze. However, my Video Doorbell 2 runs on battery power only, and I have to replace the battery once every few days. I can’t use solar with it because it’s on a porch where it simply won’t receive enough sun. I don’t think I have a spot for it with sufficient direct sun.

My wife or myself are almost always home, so we’re only really concerned about motion detection at night. There appears to be no way to disable motion detection (not just alerts!) according to a schedule. That seems like a handy feature to me, and will spare my battery.

That would be cool. I ended up drilling a hole in the wall to run power to the doorbell as the battery changing was driving me nuts.

I have seriously considered doing the same … but need to save up a series of electrical chores for an electrician because I won’t touch that stuff.

when i’m home, I disable the 3 zones in settings of each device. This not only stops alerts, but no filming either. It’s a bit tedious but takes a few seconds. You have to remember to turn them back on when you leave. No battery should drain like you are describing.

I had a Ring2 on my garage door facing my house. Since there was no doorbell involved, I added a 8-24 volt transformer and resister. Then I ran doorbell wire to the ring2. I don’t have a doorbell so the transformer just charges the Ring 2. Now it’s always at 100% charge.

All this was under $20.00 for the transformer and resister and wire.

In the Ring App I’m not able to load my live feed. I had to download a 2nd app to have this happen. I shouldn’t have to have two apps just to see what is going on. If there was an emergency I wouldn’t have known without reading blogs on this 2nd app I had to download. Is there anyway to update the original app to do all the correct functions where a 2nd app isn’t necessary?

1 Like

There is one main app called Ring.
There is a new one for quick views called Rapid Ring that mainly opens views quicker. You only need the Ring app

2 Likes

My camera records video throughout the day and night. It would be useful to be able to filter to the app to show only videos for a specific time period e.g. 12am to 8am, to check if anyone had tried the door ring the night.

2 Likes

It appears that when a Smart Lighting motion sensor is linked to the doorbell 2, the doorbell
or possibly the Ring server will not respond to the doorbell button being pressed while the doorbell is recording video in response to motion being detected by the linked motion sensor.

My request is that when the doorbell button is pressed, the video recording due to the linked motion sensor be immediately stopped and the Ring system respond as it should when the button is pushed. Thanks

In public there is no expectation of privacy. So recording shouldn’t be a problem.