Doorbells Feature Request

How about an feature where if there is no internet connection but the home network is available the products still work via LAN?

If my internet connection goes down due to provider issues, my Doorbell no longer rings to the Chime nor my phone. The home network is still funcitoning and the devices can still talk to eachother, but nothing works.

5 Likes

There is to some effect but its only on the Elite, that works using poe, no other db can or will i wouldnt have thought, it would be to expensive like the Elite

Hello!

I would like to be able to have the option of the app automatically open and show the live view when then doorbell button is pressed.

5 Likes

It already does, go to ring settings/device settings, notification settings, notification preferences, and turn on IN-App Notifications

2 Likes

@Bashy, thanks for the response. Not sure why it isn’t available for any DB given they all connect to the network in order to get to the web. So it should not be too difficult to make them talk together over LAN/WiFi when internet is down but local network is available.

Chime and Chime Pro, minimally, should be able to interact with other ring products over local network as there is no driving reason for cloud access with those products.

Ring products are expensive bricks when there is no internet, which is problematic and unnecessary.

2 Likes

Refresh on the events history screen.

When I’m on the event history screen after I hear a motion chime, I know that I’m going to get a video in a minute or two, so I want to be able to refresh the screen (other apps have you swipe down to refresh) rather than exit the screen and go back. Very clunky as it is, and this is kind of basic interface stuff. thanks!

1 Like

Hi ring

I would like to see the date and time in the video while your watching it instead of going back to the dashboard to see it from George thanks

4 Likes

I would love a pause in recording feature for our Video Doorbell 2. We use ours at a vacation rental to confirm arrival of our guests and to make sure our occupancy rules are adhered to. After that, I don’t really need to record every coming/going of the current guests through the door which wastes battery life. Our VR is not nearby so a pause in recording feature would be most helpful in terms of not wasting batter as well as not blowing up my phone each time guests enter/exit.

We have this as a feature to our Stick-Up Cam so it should be an easy enhancement to the doorbell and will also create flow and continuity between Ring products. Thank you.

1 Like

Very much need a way to easily TURN OFF the doorbell. Whenever someone works on the house or we have a social function, the motion alert goes off continually, draining the battery. Your instructions talk only about delving into the settings to do that.

I’ve started removing the battery, which is easier than messing with the settings but still a hassle.

Need a simple on-off on the app!

1 Like

My neighbor who is 15’ ft from us, sets off motion constantly. I can’t adust to avoid.

So when i’m home, I turn off motion zones by going to to app, then device, then settings, then device settings, then motion settings, then motion zones, then I shut all 3 zones off. Lots of steps, but I go fast. This way it won’t record any movement till you turn them on again. Should they give us an easier way, YES!

Thanks! I’ll try that and keep hoping for something easier.

have you tried using the wedges (angled back plates) to make the camera point more to the ground (or left/right if that is where the ‘interference’ is)

It’s not interference—right now it’s movement from work on the house and often from entertaining on our patio, which we generally want monitored with the doorbell. But thanks.

Hello I recnetly installed a Ring Doorbell 2 that is connected to a mechanical doorbell. I was very disappointed to learn that this doorbell does not have the ability to silence the chime on the in home doorbell. This was a awesome feature on my previous door bell and for anyone with kids or pets it was very helpfull to be able to turn off the chime when we would not want to be disturbed. Please consider adding this feature in the near future.

1 Like

@ring_user_oh wrote:

Hello I recnetly installed a Ring Doorbell 2 that is connected to a mechanical doorbell. I was very disappointed to learn that this doorbell does not have the ability to slience the chime on the in home doorbell. This was a awesome feature on my previous door bell and for anyone with kids or pets it was very helpfull to be able to turn off the chime when we would not want to be disturbed. Please consider adding this feature in the near future.

@ring_user_oh : Are you sure you can’t disable it? What happens if you go into the Ring app and configure the “Doorbell Chime Type” to be “None” – does that help?

-Jon

@Tyler wrote:

My neighbor who is 15’ ft from us, sets off motion constantly. I can’t adust to avoid.

So when i’m home, I turn off motion zones by going to to app, then device, then settings, then device settings, then motion settings, then motion zones, then I shut all 3 zones off. Lots of steps, but I go fast. This way it won’t record any movement till you turn them on again. Should they give us an easier way, YES!

@Tyler - Aren’t you able to exclude your neighbor’s property (house/yard/etc) from your zones? I guess I’m not understanding why you would sometimes want to have the neighbor’s property in one of your zones.

@JonS wrote:

What would be nice to see is a small box that simply has a set of relay contacts (Common, Normally Open, Normally Closed) such that the relay is activated when the Ring Pro button is pressed. This box could either go inline with the video doorbell, or it could be stand alone and simply paired to the video doorbell. This way I could wire up the COM/NO relay contacts in parallel with the existing KSU push button to have the existing KSU ring the phones when someone hits the button on the Ring Pro.

Hi all.

Just a quick update… I bought a couple 24 VAC (SPDT) relays and wired them in series with my Ring Pro doorbell (well, the relays are wired in parallel with each other, then that “relay pack” is wired in series with the Ring doorbell). Using the app on my phone, I then set the “Doorbell Type” to “Mechanical” (with a 2 second duration), and lo and behold, now when the button the Ring Pro is pushed, the relays kick in for 2 seconds.

That solved this problem – I wired the COM/NO contacts from one relay across the doorbell button contacts of my existing doorbell system (Panasonic KSU), and I’m planning on using the COM/NO contacts from the second relay as inputs to my home automation system (i.e., inputs to an ESP8266).

Thanks to the Ring support team for pointing me to the 24 VAC relays. They work great. :slight_smile:

Here’s something else that I’d like to see – more integration and control with IFTTT. For example, it would be nice to be able to control/configure the Ring doorbell via IFTTT. I could see doing something like setting up a button in the house that would trigger an IFTTT event, and that event could turn on/off motion detection on the Ring doorbell. (I’m not a big fan of using apps for everything – I’d rather have a physical button I could press to control the configuration of the doorbell.)

Something to think about…

Cheers.

JonS I dont have this option with the Ring 2 I believe this is only availalable in the Ring Pro

2 Likes

@ring_user_oh wrote:

JonS I dont have this option with the Ring 2 I believe this is only availalable in the Ring Pro

Oh, sorry to hear that. Yeah, it’s a nice feature that should be added to Ring 2 (if possible).

Good luck. :slight_smile: